Loading... dialogue spins forever after migrating to VS2010 from VS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently upgraded my VS2008 Web Application solution including ReportViewer 9 to VS2010 and now Report Viewer 10 is breaking.  The report frame loads with all the command buttons and a dialog in the middle saying 'Loading...'  The loading message just keeps on spinning and reports never show up.  

I'm running this on Win 2003 Server IIS6.  I ran reportviewer.exe, updated my assembly references in both web.config and aspx pages.  i also, tried opening the report in VS2010 designer in case it needed to do some prep work automatically. Nothing seems to work.  I also, have the same problem running it locally on Win7 IIS7 box.

Any ideas what's wrong? Please help?

Thanks,
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:50 AM

Answers

• I wonder if you are setting some properties on the ReportViewer after the LoadViewState event.  For example, if you set the report server url or report path during page load, you may be triggering the report viewer into thinking that a new report definition is being supplied during postback.  This would cause it to restart report processing and keep spinny up forever.  We had some issues with detecting when property values are changing in the beta.  This issue is resolved for the final release.

Depending on the structure of your application and other settings on the viewer, this might manifest only on the new viewer because it uses asynchronous postbacks to render the report.  In VS 2008, this was done via the report viewer HTTP handler, where code in the ASPX page would not have been executing and therefore not have triggered the problem.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 5:52 PM

All replies

• I wonder if you are setting some properties on the ReportViewer after the LoadViewState event.  For example, if you set the report server url or report path during page load, you may be triggering the report viewer into thinking that a new report definition is being supplied during postback.  This would cause it to restart report processing and keep spinny up forever.  We had some issues with detecting when property values are changing in the beta.  This issue is resolved for the final release.

Depending on the structure of your application and other settings on the viewer, this might manifest only on the new viewer because it uses asynchronous postbacks to render the report.  In VS 2008, this was done via the report viewer HTTP handler, where code in the ASPX page would not have been executing and therefore not have triggered the problem.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Thanks Brian.

Actually, having come into this fresh after getting your response i solved this issue rather easily.  Thank you for your suggestions.  For some reason the developer was binding on every page refresh.  So once I changed the code to only call db and bind if not posting back my problem was solved.

Thanks again.

Aaron
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:39 PM