Can't install Windows 8 on Mac with Boot Camp: "To install windows, restart the installation"

Question

• Hi,

I'm using the 64-bit version of Windows 8 developer preview, and trying to install it on a 64-bit Macbook Pro.  I've verified the SHA1 sum of the ISO file I've downloaded.  I've created an 80-gigabyte free partition, and then formatted as FAT32.  When I boot into Windows, I experience a number of problems:
    1. At the disk selection screen, if I attempt to format the FAT32 partition (presumably as NTFS?), it does so successfully, but then says that I cannot install onto the new partition.  It then tells me more information is available in the Setup Log File.  How can I view this file?
    2. If I delete the FAT32 partition and then say "New", it creates several partitions, but does not let me select the partition for install, saying I need to have a GPT partition and not use MBR.
    3. If I leave the partition unformatted and then select it, it creates several partitions, appears to begin the install, then pops up a dialog box that ends with the text "To install windows restart the installation."  My only option is to hold down the power button to turn the computer off.  When I reboot into OS X, the partition it created appears empty, looking like it never actually copied any files.

This drive is formatted with GPT.  There's a shadow MBR which appears to be correct.  This drive has never had any copy of Windows on it, so I'm trying to perform a fresh install.  I'd prefer to use the 64-bit version of Windows, as this machine has 8 GB of RAM.

What is the cause of these problems?  Where can I get more information on the Windows 8 installation procedure?  Where are verbose error messages recorded with regards to install?

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:04 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for the link.  The resources mentioned in that post don't seem to run into the problems I'm experiencing with the disk, nor do they mention the error I'm receiving.  My disk is partitioned properly, and the Windows installer is able to at least see the disk, as well as format the drive, but something appears to be going south once the actual installation begins.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:26 AM
  • Hey Sean,

Try using the information provided in the answer from TrekDozer in the thread linked below to see if that helps you to install Windows Developer Preview:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/d040e36e-5c55-49e2-b93f-32967167164b 

Steven
    Friday, December 2, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Hi Steven,

That's the same discussion Marilyn linked me to.  The Windows installer is able to see the disk, repartition it if necessary, and format the drives.  However, it refuses to actually install.  No descriptive error message appears to be given, though it tells me to look in the installer log.  Where can I find the installer log?

Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Hey Sean,

Here are the locations of potential log files (different log files will be created depending on how far into the installation you get):

Not all files will exist in all cases. It will depend on how and when setup failed.

%windir%\logs\cbs\cbspersist_*.cab
     %windir%\panther\cbs_unattend.log
     %windir%\panther\diagerr.xml
     %windir%\panther\miglog.xml
     %windir%\panther\PostApplyPnPList.log
     %windir%\panther\PreGatherPnPList.log
     %windir%\panther\setupact.log
     %windir%\panther\setupinfo
     %windir%\panther\setuperr.log
     %windir%\panther\unattend.xml
     %windir%\panther\unattendgc\setupact.log
     %windir%\panther\unattendgc\setuperr.log
     %windir%\inf\setupapi.app.log
     %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
     %windir%\inf\setupapi.ev1
     %windir%\inf\setupapi.ev2
     %windir%\system32\sysprep\panther\diagerr.xml
     %windir%\system32\sysprep\panther\setupact.log
     %windir%\system32\sysprep\panther\setuperr.log
     %windir%\setupapi.log
     %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log

These files will only exist if setup failed early in the process. You will need to boot to another operating system to obtain them.

\$windows.~BT\Sources\panther\diagerr.xml
     \$windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
     \$windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log
     \$windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
     \$windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi.app.log
     \$windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setuperr.log
     \$windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupinfo
     \$windows.~BT\Sources\panther\unattend.xml
     \$windows.~BT\Sources\rollback\setupact.log
     \$windows.~BT\Sources\rollback\setuperr.log

When you burnt the disc did you check the option to verity the burned disc/data? If not, it's possible that you have a good .ISO image but something happened during the burning of the DVD. In this case you may want to try burning a second DVD using the verify option to ensure that the disc that is produced matches the .ISO file used to burn it.

Steven
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 1:14 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Yes, when I burned the disc it verified successfully.

The drive is completely empty.  Not a single file on the disk.  However, by using hexdump on the device node I can see that when Windows Setup formatted the drive, it installed BOOTMGR, which means the installer has the ability to write to the drive.  But for some reason, it seems as though the installer itself can't write to the filesystem.

Is there a way to start the installer in such that it prints out more verbose error messages to the screen, rather than to a file?

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:22 AM
  • Hey Sean,

I don't know of a way to force the installer to output the error instead of creating the installation error logs. Did you try both methods 1 and 3 from your original post and look in the drive after each? If not, try the method that you didn't complete in your last reply and check to see if any logs are stored in the drive.

Steven
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Method 3 is the only one I can use to get to a screen that looks like: http://cdn.techpp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/windows-8-install-14.jpg (With the exception that it's on "Copying Windows files (0%)" when the window pops up.  Methods 1 and 2 either disable the "Next" button on the partition screen, or display an error whenever I click the "Next" button.

The drive is always empty.

Actually, that's not /entirely/ true.  I'm running OS X, and I can use "ntfsls -s" to list the following system files that the Windows installer created.  But it hasn't actually put any real files on the disk:

Winston:firmware smc$ sudo ntfsls -s /dev/disk1s3
    Failed to set locale, using default 'C'.
    $AttrDef
    $BadClus
    $Bitmap
    $Boot
    $Extend
    $LogFile
    $MFT
    $MFTMirr
    $Secure
    $UpCase
    $Volume
    Winston:firmware smc$

Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Hey Sean,

When you receive the message "To install Windows restart the installation.", try holding your power button to turn your computer off. Then hold down the Option key on your keyboard and start your computer. Continue holding the Option key until you are given a choice of which drive you would like to start from.  Then choose to boot from the DVD to begin the installation of Windows Developer Preview again.

Then let us know if you receive the same message and/or if you get any further into the "copying Windows files" process.

Steven
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Hi Steven,

I went ahead and took pictures this time.

When I use the installer to partition the drive and I attempt to pick partition 6 to install onto, I get this error message: http://imgur.com/w0AJC ""Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition.  See the Setup log files for more information."

If I delete the four partitions the installer created when I clicked "New" (http://imgur.com/NFKjk) and then click Next, it will sit at the "Installing Windows..." screen for about ten seconds (http://imgur.com/vHUeI) before telling me that "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation.  To install Windows, restart the installation." (http://imgur.com/QyhZZ).  There is a single button on the error message "Ok", and when I click it I'm brought to a window with no widgets (http://imgur.com/qmmBZ).  My only option is to hold down the power button and turn the machine off.

If I then boot the DVD, I am taken back to the beginning of the installer as if nothing had happened.  I can repartition the drive again.

The only weirdness here is that I'm using a USB drive to install Windows.  This laptop has two SATA ports, one for the hard drive and one originally for the optical drive.  I've since moved my magnetic disk to the original optical drive bay and replaced the hard drive with an SSD.  I'm attempting to install Windows from a USB DVD drive onto the secondary, magnetic drive.  I don't think it's an issue with drivers, though, because the Windows installer has the ability to partition the drive, so I know it has the ability to read from and write to my magnetic disk.

Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:56 AM
  • I've just realized that there are two separate issues conflating the problem.

The first is a subtle bug in Apple's Boot Camp firmware.  Since I have no internal DVD drive, I'm using an external USB drive.  When I hold down Option as I turn the computer on, their EFI firmware recognizes a bootable DOS disc and adds an option titled "Windows".  However, the Bios emulator that gets launched when I chose to boot from this disc image does not understand how to map a USB DVD drive to a DOS device, and so I'm unable to start the installer this way.  This is an Apple issue, and the only solution is to open the machine and put my optical drive back where it was when I got the computer.

However, there might also be an issue with the Windows installer.

With Windows 8, if I hold down Option as the system boots, I'll actually get two bootable DVD entries.  The first is "Windows", which just means it's a bootable DOS drive.  The second is "EFI Boot", which I think just launches the .efi file on the Windows 8 DVD.  This actually launches the installer, and is how I've managed to take the pictures and do what I've been doing so far.

Is this an Interesting problem?  I know I can take the computer apart and replace the drive to get it to install, but it seems as though there's genuinely an issue here that might crop up on other computers using EFI.

Saturday, December 10, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Hi Marilyn,

I've submitted feedback using the tool you mentioned.  Thank you for the support.

Monday, December 19, 2011 5:26 PM