none
Is SharePoint 2013 fully compatible with Mac? Errors received with "Edit in [Application]" feature RRS feed

• Question

• Is SharePoint 2013 fully compatible with Mac?

Problem: Coworkers and I are not able to use the "Edit in [Application]" option in SharePoint when on our Macs at home. The applications will open, but the documents will not. We receive the following errors: 

• Word & PowerPoint: Sorry, we couldn't open 'https://[file path].docx/.pptx'
    • Excel: Microsoft Excel cannot access the file 'https://[file path].xlsx'. There are several possible reasons:
      • The file name or path does not exist.
      • The file is being used by another program.
      • The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook. 

* We are able to use the "Edit in [Application]" option successfully when on our PCs at work, and other coworkers are able to use the option from their PCs at work and at home. 

* We are able to use the "Edit in Word Web App" option without issue on my PC and my MAC.

* We are able to download the files without issue; however, work policy prohibits us from downloading some files, so the "Edit in [Application]" feature is needed.

Setup Description: Worksite application built on the SharePoint 2013 platform. It has less functionality in some areas than the standard SharePoint application, such as no social media functionality; however, the Word, Excel, PowerPoint functionality is the same. We log on using my work credentials. I do not believe the worksite application is linked to a Microsoft 365 account, as workers do not have work-provided Microsoft 365 accounts attached to our credentials. Most of us do have personal Microsoft 365 accounts at home.

MAC System and Office Application Details: Range from most current, macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and Office 16.38, to dated, macOS Lion 10.7.

Browsers Used: Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer.

What I Have Tried Without Success

1. Cleared OfficeFieldCache.
    2. Cleared all instances of ADAL in keychain access. Looked for but did not find Microsoft Office Identities Cache 2 and Settings 2.
    3. Opened and operated in Safe Mode.
    4. Created and operated within a new profile.
    5. I do not have access to another SharePoint site to test against.

Any insight to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Stephanie

Monday, June 29, 2020 12:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Stephanie, 

Using Office 2011 instead of Office 2016. 

Using IE instead of Safari.

Go to office client to check if the account you signed in is consistent with the account you signed in SharePoint. If not, you can sign in office client with the account you signed in SharePoint.

Safari on Mac OS is still supported to open your SharePoint site (Plan browser support in SharePoint 2013). It however has several limitations when you want to integrate with Microsoft Office for Mac. It’s because such an integration requires ActiveX control which is only available on Internet Explorer.

Besides, here are some similar issue post for your reference:

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/162611/cant-create-or-edit-item-with-office-2016-for-mac-el-capitan-on-sharepoint-201

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/sharepoint-sorry-we-couldnt-open-macos-catalina/eb8f2573-1d68-45a2-bafc-4d0d8d0732ec

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Tev Tuesday, June 30, 2020 1:28 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:39 AM
  • Lisa,

Thank you for this information; very enlightening. I misspoke earlier when I listed IE as one of the tested browsers. 

One of my coworkers is using Office 2011 and still has the same issues. I'm intrigued by the Mac user (first link) that got the functionality to work by having both 2011 and 2016 on their system. I'll look into that further. Though it doesn't really explain how that overcomes the ActiveX Control issue in non-IE browsers. I used the second link to originally troubleshoot the issue before posting my question and was unsuccessful on all counts. :-/

Unfortunately, IE for Mac was discontinued in 2005, and IE is not available as a standalone application. It is only available as part of Windows. Although there is a Windows for Mac, Macs don't support it, and the MS OS does cause issues that I'm not all that sure I want to deal with. LOL.

I very much appreciate your time. Your post provided the most useful information I've received since I began troubleshooting this issue.

v/r,

Stephanie

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 1:28 PM