none
error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'rc.exe'.

Question

• I am trying to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition in my Windows 7. The first test program I tried to build I got the following:

1>------ Build started: Project: test2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

1>Compiling manifest to resources...

1>Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'rc.exe'.

1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Allen\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\test2\test2\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

1>test2 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I know it is old program, but I hope there is someone who still remember to handle such error and gives me a hand

thanks Allen

• Edited by Allen_Press Saturday, March 12, 2016 7:15 PM
    Saturday, March 12, 2016 7:09 PM

Answers

• Big thanks to Weiwei. He told me to install MS VS 2008 Express. After I did that my professional version  started to work fine. I do not need to upgrade to PS1 any more, because, I just needed SP1, thinking that would fix the problem.  I also thanks everybody tried to help. 

Allen Maki

• Marked as answer by Allen_Press Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:19 AM
    • Edited by Allen_Press Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:52 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Allen,

Do you have checked the BuildLog that mentioned in output window? Please tell us whether there has any valuable information about this error.

Please create a new project without any custom code to confirm whether this issue related to your code or Visual Studio.

If new project also has this issue, please try with below steps.

1. Install Visual Studio 2008 sp1.
    2. Check the rc.exe under c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\bin\.
    3. Open menu Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> C++ Directories to verify that $(WindowsSdkDirs)\bin is listed there.  Try adding the folder name explicitly and run Setup.exe and choose Repair.

In addition, please refer to below blog which mentioned this error and provide a workaround. Hope it can help you.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pusu/archive/2009/07/14/confusing-experience-with-visual-studio-2008.aspx

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 14, 2016 7:04 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,
    Thanks a lot for answering my question.

1.      I did create a new project without any custom code and I  confirmed that this issue is
    related to Visual Studio.
    2.      I am also unable to upgrade to SP1.
    3.      I went "Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> C++ Directories $(WindowsSdkDirs)\bin" and verified that  everything is available,  but no rc.exe was there.

Allen Maki

Monday, March 14, 2016 5:50 PM
  • Hi Allen,

>>I am also unable to upgrade to SP1.

Do you get any error message when upgrade to SP1 or you don't want to upgrade to SP1?

If there has any error message, please tell us what error message you get and please try repair your Visual Studio 2008 first and then install sp1.

>>I went "Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> C++ Directories $(WindowsSdkDirs)\bin" and verified that  everything is available,  but no rc.exe was there.

Please search the rc.exe file in your File System and then replace the directories to the path of where the rc.exe file exist.

In addition, please refer to other workarounds in below thread, hope that can help you.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2705459/1project-error-prj0003-error-spawning-rc-exe

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Big thanks to Weiwei. He told me to install MS VS 2008 Express. After I did that my professional version  started to work fine. I do not need to upgrade to PS1 any more, because, I just needed SP1, thinking that would fix the problem.  I also thanks everybody tried to help. 

Allen Maki

• Marked as answer by Allen_Press Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:19 AM
    • Edited by Allen_Press Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:52 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:18 AM