none
Azure File share status

Question

• I have 8 GB of folder in my Laptop, I have tried copy paste to Azure VM, It has took long time and got disconnected due to network issue, so I have created file share, now the issue is .. it is only accepting files, I have folder which contain many files, so I have zipped my folder... I have clicked on start upload button to upload zip file..  as it is 8 Gb file it is taking time..... As I can't be on same page I have done some operation and came back to the file share again... I can't see the status.. and I can't even cancel.... how can I know if the operation is running.

Regards,

Mahendranath

Mahendranath Miryala

Friday, April 1, 2016 6:44 PM

Answers

• Once you've uploaded your zip as a blob, log into your VM and download it using AzCopy. It sounds like you just want to get the files to your VM, so trying to attach another data disk shouldn't be necessary. You can also try to move your zip file from local -> blob and blob -> VM by using the Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer http://storageexplorer.com/
    Friday, April 8, 2016 10:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Mahendranath,

Thank you for posting here.

Are you trying to copy paste the data directly into VM?

If so, first click on connect option on portal and then download the RDP file.

Open the RDP file and then enter your credentials à click on show options à Local Resources à More à Then select the local disk you need to share to vmà then copy the data to your VM

For more detailed steps you can refer the below screen shots.

In case if you are copying the data to storage account you can use Azcopy command.

Please refer the below link

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-use-azcopy/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ashok

Saturday, April 2, 2016 8:24 AM
  • I have used this method, due to some issue it got failed.

Mahendranath Miryala

Saturday, April 2, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Network connectivity between the local machine and the VM is a major factor here. Can you clarify the Azure Region of your VM? And, the geographic location of your local machine and the network speed? In many case network reliability and performance can become a limiting factor for this operation. Hence, uploading the whole folder as a single ZIP file has a high chance of failure. Instead, you will likely have better success copying a few files at a time.

Also, instead of copying the data directly via RDP, consider uploading to an Azure File share using AzCopy tool or using some Azure Explorer tools. Once the data is uploaded to Azure, you can easily transfer that to your VM.

Sunday, April 3, 2016 5:15 AM
  • I agree with you.

I have though to upload the files to Azure file share but as I mentioned earlier I am trying to upload folder which have many files, I can't select each and every files. So I have zipped the folder.

zipped file size is 8 Gb, I could not see status of upload once the page is refreshed.

Hope you understand my issue.. I like to know any alternative to upload.

Regards,

Mahendranath

Mahendranath Miryala

Sunday, April 3, 2016 5:09 PM
  • What is the tool you are using for the upload? Can you use AzCopy to upload the zip file into your storage account? (It doesn't have to be an Azure File share. You can upload it as a blob since it is a single zip file.)
    Monday, April 4, 2016 12:31 AM
  • If I upload with Az copy as blob. How can I use it in a VM. The file which I like to upload is Ax dynamics software... I want to install it on a VM. If I upload it as a BLOB to storage account only thing I can do is attach that BLOB as a data disk..  how can Attach a software zip file ( BLOB) as a data disk.. hope you got my point.

Let me know alternative.

Mahendranath Miryala

Thursday, April 7, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Once you've uploaded your zip as a blob, log into your VM and download it using AzCopy. It sounds like you just want to get the files to your VM, so trying to attach another data disk shouldn't be necessary. You can also try to move your zip file from local -> blob and blob -> VM by using the Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer http://storageexplorer.com/
    Friday, April 8, 2016 10:59 PM
  • Thanks .. I got it

Mahendranath Miryala

Sunday, April 10, 2016 5:23 PM