none
multiple input forms RRS feed

• Question

• I have a access database application that i use for data entry, i have the issue of wanting to look at another piece of information from the database, and enter info at the same time.

the form is called task details and i would like to be able to open it multiple times to compare data, and change either if needed.

is this possible.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:18 AM

Answers

• It would simply be something like the following in a button click (or other control) event handler:

Dim f As New Form1
    f.Show()

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:09 PM

All replies

• If your database design is well, it is not possible, you will quick have concurrency errors. (Changing data wich is read on more places)

Be aware that it is in an environment with 1 row in every database table probably possible, but after done all the work, you will see that suddenly there come not repairable problems.  

Success Cor

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:48 AM
  • Yes you can do this.  Just be aware, as Cor mentions, that if you change a record in one instance of the form and do not refresh the second instance, you cannot change that same record from the second instance without running into a concurrency violation (assuming concurrency is being enforced).

It does depend on how the form is set up.  If the form only shows one record at a time and you are comparing different records then you probably won't have any issues.  If the form shows multiple records then the concurrency problem may arise.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 1:24 PM
  • i don't want to change the same record.

Example:

user 1 has a keyboard issue

i want to open a related issue for the same user but different issue

the ID (ie. the records) are different

all while using the same form but separate instance (Form1 - instance1 / Form1 - Instance2)

is there any example code that can be provided or a link to reference materials

i know its not the best way to explain it sorry.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 1:41 PM
  • It would simply be something like the following in a button click (or other control) event handler:

Dim f As New Form1
    f.Show()

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:09 PM
  • Thank You
    Tuesday, January 23, 2018 3:05 PM
  • totally unrelated but i have a combo box with other, how could i enable a text box if "other" from the combo is selected but if it is not then disable it, i have it partly working but when i de-selected "Other" the text box stayed enabled

any ideas

Thanks

Please start a new thread for a new issue.  You may not get many views on a closed thread and the forum guidance is one issue per topic.  Thanks!

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 5:12 PM