What New in LightSwitch in Visual Studio 2015RC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

What New in LightSwitch in Visual Studio 2015RC?

If there is nothing new, should I use LightSwitch or move to other development platform, if so what do you recommend ?

We are currently have a very big project that is running on LightSwitch Desktop, this project have big problem with performance, after users are working on it for 4 hours it start to be very very slow, and they have to restart it

Thanks

Doron

Friday, May 8, 2015 9:30 AM

Answers

• Despite everything Dan mentioned, I took the plunge to build a large LOB solution out of the html client.  I'm still working on it but so far I have managed to everything that I could in the Silverlight client and more.  There are definitely some things that are tricky to get working and you had better be prepared to write a TON of javascript, but I must say I am very happy with it.  My very general advice when working with the html client:

- Do everything that can be done on the server on the server. 

- Use Web API early and often.  Web API is the saving grace of the html client!!  This cannot be overstated!

- SignalR is also fabulous in the html client.

- Learn how to write queries by passing a single string parameter containing a json string to a custom RIA service, deserialize the json string on the server and handle the query there.  Super fast, works great, and limits the work you need to do on the client side.

- Write a library full of helper functions.  The best public example of this is Dale Morrison's lswires on bitbucket.

- Use lightswitch in conjunction with MVC.  You can access all of the ls data via server application context and make your own MVC html helpers.  This works great when you need a really custom view.

- Figure out how you plan to handle data exports (to excel, for printing etc).  I use web API and EPPlus for exports to excel and make separate printer friendly html pages where the data is served up via web API and server application context for printing.  You can use bootstrap or any other framework for styling.  This seems to work very well.

I definitely hope Microsoft comes back to LightSwitch and continues to improve it, but even if they don't, it is more than capable for even the most sophisticated LOB apps.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, May 18, 2015 1:35 AM
    Friday, May 8, 2015 2:37 PM

All replies

• @Doron

I doubt if you will get an answer to your question. Microsoft refuses even to acknowledge the existence of LightSwitch other than to say it is still included with Visual Studio 2015. The last "official" response was December of 2014. Even Beth Massi, who was a superb evangelist and prime motivator for this product cannot seem to get/provide an answer. I have been told to "wait", but I have been waiting for almost 6 months now.

Microsoft seems to have the attention span of a caffeinated dog at a Squirrel Circus. Today, if the conversation doesn't have "mobile" and "cloud" in it, you cannot get their attention.

Personally I think LightSwitch is/was one of the most promising products they had, but apparently no one is driving that train right now and it has coasted to a stop, and MS refuses say what the future holds for this product.

On the desktop front, there seems to be renewed vigor for WPF (which for a while looked like it was going to be abandoned as well). And Windows Forms is still kicking and is really quite good more many applications, although you'll have to build/select your own MVC for either of these solutions.

For web-based Line-Of-Business (LOB) application there is very little that could compete with LightSwitch. I am also casting about and will hopefully find an Open Source solution, as Microsoft simply cannot be trusted anymore in this arena.

Hope this helps. Sorry I cannot provide a better answer.

- Dan

Friday, May 8, 2015 2:23 PM
  • Despite everything Dan mentioned, I took the plunge to build a large LOB solution out of the html client.  I'm still working on it but so far I have managed to everything that I could in the Silverlight client and more.  There are definitely some things that are tricky to get working and you had better be prepared to write a TON of javascript, but I must say I am very happy with it.  My very general advice when working with the html client:

- Do everything that can be done on the server on the server. 

- Use Web API early and often.  Web API is the saving grace of the html client!!  This cannot be overstated!

- SignalR is also fabulous in the html client.

- Learn how to write queries by passing a single string parameter containing a json string to a custom RIA service, deserialize the json string on the server and handle the query there.  Super fast, works great, and limits the work you need to do on the client side.

- Write a library full of helper functions.  The best public example of this is Dale Morrison's lswires on bitbucket.

- Use lightswitch in conjunction with MVC.  You can access all of the ls data via server application context and make your own MVC html helpers.  This works great when you need a really custom view.

- Figure out how you plan to handle data exports (to excel, for printing etc).  I use web API and EPPlus for exports to excel and make separate printer friendly html pages where the data is served up via web API and server application context for printing.  You can use bootstrap or any other framework for styling.  This seems to work very well.

I definitely hope Microsoft comes back to LightSwitch and continues to improve it, but even if they don't, it is more than capable for even the most sophisticated LOB apps.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, May 18, 2015 1:35 AM
    Friday, May 8, 2015 2:37 PM
  • Hi,

we use lightswitch html with Syncfusion JavaScript. This ensemble is perfect.

See follow sides:

http://js.syncfusion.com/demos/LightSwitch/HTMLClient/

http://js.syncfusion.com/demos/web/

regards

j.nord

Friday, May 8, 2015 8:45 PM
  • Hi Dan

Thank you for your answer

Yes Microsoft is problematic with it own software  for developers

back in the day's they say use msaccess (version 2002), then the say don't us msaccess it is dead, but today they have msaccess 2013

It is a BIG Problem to select the right solution for development, you have to learn new development platforms

and then Microsoft just kill them

Sunday, May 10, 2015 12:43 PM
  • Thanks for your answer

I love the way LightSwitch is very quick in developing new database and new desktop screens

with very quick change of look & feel and controls without doing a lot of development

this is the ALL IDEA in LightSwitch

To start working with the web is to learn new way to develop, I Think it will take a lot of time for a desktop developer to do it the right way

Thanks for all the tips

I thing I will wait to see if there is a new way to do quick development in Dot Net 5

Sunday, May 10, 2015 12:47 PM
  • j.nord Thanks for your answer

I will try the demo version

Sunday, May 10, 2015 12:52 PM