Touch gestures for normal mouse

General discussion

• I don't know if it's technically possible, but is there a way to enable touch gestures for non-touch screens?

Let me explain:

In any demo you see how easy it is to navigate through the start screen and the metro apps by using your fingers. Press, and slide it to the left for example. Just like drag and drop, you press, hold, and move the way you like it. But somehow this (scrolling through a metro app) can't be done with the normal mouse, but why?

I'm getting used to Windows Phone 7, all those video's about Windows 8. When I first started Windows 8, I expected it to work just like the phone / demo. But simply because i'm using the mouse, i'm not able to. I need to use the scoller that works for one app, and not for another, and it feels unnatural. I just want to press my left mouse button, slide it like a finger, and have Windows respond like it's my finger.

So is there a way to force my mouse so Windows things it's a finger?

THANKS!

* Note, I know multi-touch won't work, and so, some functionality won't be possible. But it would be nice to see how the system works with finger-mouse.

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:52 PM

All replies

• On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 20:52:27 +0000, Peter van Dam wrote:

In any demo you see how easy it is to navigate through the start screen and the metro apps by using your fingers. Press, and slide it to the left for example. Just like drag and drop, you press, hold, and move the way you like it. But somehow this (scrolling through a metro app)?can't be done with the normal mouse, but why

Try the scroll wheel? Or the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen?

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    One picture is worth 128K words.

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:55 PM
  • Perhaps they figure if you can't have multi-touch you can't have anything.

-Noel

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Well, the scroll wheel isn't always working, the working with that scrollbar at the bottom is uneasy because it's unclear where the middlepart is of that scrollbar.

I know it's not even a beta, so I know things will be fixed, but the touch experience goes futher then just the start screen. Even a browser, or any scrollbar-required window works alot nicer with touch compared to mouse. So thats why i'm interested in giving the mouse > finger experience a real try

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:20 AM