While clicking in project template its taking long time to load in visual studio 2010 template . RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have create a custom project type using Managed Package Framework (MPF) and migrate to VS2008 toVS 2010.but while clicking on create new project,project template is taking long time to load because ProjectTemplateCache and ItemTemplateCache are not creating in installation path.

Can any one help me, how to create project template cache in visual studio 2010 template.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:17 AM

Answers

• Generally speaking the template cache should automatically be updated after the VS 2010 IDE detects that there is a new .pkgdef, but if you are simply retargeting your package to run under VS 2010 (meaning you're registering your package via registry instead of .pkgdef), you'll still need to have your installer update the cache by way of running devenv /setup.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    • Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Friday, December 31, 2010 7:52 AM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Ranjan,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, the Ironpython integration sample doesn't generate any project item cache, but no "taking long time to load" issue.

If you expect to create project item cache in installation path.

I suggest to copy your template .zip file to

<Visual Studio 10.0 installation path>\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates

and run command

devenv /installvstemplates in VS2010 command prompt

to generate project template cache.

If it doesn't help, be free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:12 AM
  • Hi Ziwei,

Its doesnot work for me.

• Marked as answer by Ranjan Bhuyan Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ranjan Bhuyan Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:38 AM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:37 AM
  • Hi Ranjan,

Thanks for your time.

Do you mean there is no project item cache generated by my way?

If it is generated but still slow, I suppose it is an intellisense issue or caused by project template.

Could you please provide more information or detail scenario of your custom project type?

Hope my reply helps.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Generally speaking the template cache should automatically be updated after the VS 2010 IDE detects that there is a new .pkgdef, but if you are simply retargeting your package to run under VS 2010 (meaning you're registering your package via registry instead of .pkgdef), you'll still need to have your installer update the cache by way of running devenv /setup.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    • Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Friday, December 31, 2010 7:52 AM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:19 AM