Moving data from one person's record to another RRS feed

• Question

• I have multiple persons in my account. I entered the immunization information for one person and then realized it was for the wrong person. So I simply want to move the immunization records from one person to another. There is no easy way to do this using the HealthVault UI so I thought I'd just use the API. This is pretty simple using the API but I am not sure I understand the process for doing this in a non-development environment.

I have it all working on the development environment but I want to do this on my actual HealthVault account. Do I have to go through the entire go-live process? I only want to use the application for my own purposes and don't care about sharing it to the world so this whole go-live process is quite cumbersome. As far as the go-live process goes, do I have to deploy my app on a globally accessible web server or can I run it out of my laptop like I do on the development environment? Is there a simpler process if one only wants to use the app for their own purposes? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Wilfred
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:25 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately this is not currently a feature supported by the HealthVault UI directly; you can't move data directly between records.  You'll need to enter it again at this time.

Regarding doing it via the API, any applications that connect to the Production environment must go through a go-live review and have a signed partner agreement with our business team.  Due to the nature and sensitivity of the health data stored on our platform we can't allow any random applications to connect; while we keep the platform as open as we can, there are still requirements to be met. 

As much as we would like to allow users to write their own applications for personal use, in the end all production applications must meet the same bar and requirements.

I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you won't be able to use your own code for personal use in Production, and for now you can't move data directly using our own UI.  You're stuck having to enter it again.  Many apologies for the inconvenience, and thanks for checking out options and being persistent and understanding.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:11 AM

All replies

• If your application wants to connect to the HealthVault production environment, you need to go through the Go-Live process.

For developing the sample applications, you can create applications and try with Pre-Production environment importing or creating a certificate in HealthVault Application Manager.
    The samples are provided with the HealthVault SDK, with the path(C:\Program Files\Microsoft HealthVault\SDK\DotNet\WebSamples).

-Mahesh
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:42 AM
  • Unfortunately this is not currently a feature supported by the HealthVault UI directly; you can't move data directly between records.  You'll need to enter it again at this time.

Regarding doing it via the API, any applications that connect to the Production environment must go through a go-live review and have a signed partner agreement with our business team.  Due to the nature and sensitivity of the health data stored on our platform we can't allow any random applications to connect; while we keep the platform as open as we can, there are still requirements to be met. 

As much as we would like to allow users to write their own applications for personal use, in the end all production applications must meet the same bar and requirements.

I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you won't be able to use your own code for personal use in Production, and for now you can't move data directly using our own UI.  You're stuck having to enter it again.  Many apologies for the inconvenience, and thanks for checking out options and being persistent and understanding.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Lowell,

Thanks for the response. I was hoping there would be a workaround, maybe the ability to access personal accounts through the API with lesser restrictions, but it looks like there is no easy way to access the production environment through the API.

I did find a workaround by exporting the file in the CCR format and importing the immunization records in the other account. Some fields were missing but it was far less painful than having to retype everything. 

Wilfred
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Ah, good approach-- I didn't consider our CCR (or CCD) export and import functionality.  The mappings are (as you noticed) not 100% complete (yet), but it's a good way to move data into and out of a record to other systems, or other records.

Thanks!
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:53 PM