none
Unable to install .NET 3.5 SP1. Error codes 1603 and 1321. RRS feed

• Question

• I've found other posts which indicate what I already determined: There is some sort of issue with permissions that is causing the .NET Framework to fail installation.  I'm logged in as an administrator, I've got full permissions to the folder in question, I even tried taking ownership of the folder in question. I'm at a loss.

Here are the errors in question.  Let me know if you want more information!

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:32:765]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 -- Error 1321. The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\System.IdentityModel.dll.

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:33:109]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'WPF2_32' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\RESTAU~1.RES\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework30_Setup272F.txt.

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:33:109]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'WCF' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\RESTAU~1.RES\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework30_Setup272F.txt.

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:33:109]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'WPF_1' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\RESTAU~1.RES\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework30_Setup272F.txt.

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:33:109]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'WF' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\RESTAU~1.RES\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework30_Setup272F.txt.

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:33:109]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'WPF_Other' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\RESTAU~1.RES\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework30_Setup272F.txt.

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:33:109]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'WF_32' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\RESTAU~1.RES\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework30_Setup272F.txt.

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:33:109]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'WPF2' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\RESTAU~1.RES\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework30_Setup272F.txt.

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:33:109]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'XPS' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\RESTAU~1.RES\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework30_Setup272F.txt.

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:33:109]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'WCS' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\RESTAU~1.RES\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework30_Setup272F.txt.

MSI (s) (04:D4) [17:40:33:109]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'WPF_Other_32' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\RESTAU~1.RES\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework30_Setup272F.txt.

Monday, June 21, 2010 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hi James,

Thank you for your post.

Based on the error message, it seems that you don't have enough permission to modify this file.
    Please check your user account that you are logged in as Administrator . If not, please elevate the privileges to get the full permission.

Please switch off the anti-Virus software during the installation.

Then try the following:

1. Open the folder: C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework in Windows Explorer
    2. Right-click on the folder and choose Sharing and Security
    3. Choose the Security tab
    4. Click the Advanced button
    5. Make sure that Users are listed as having Read & Execute permissions, Administrators have Full Control and SYSTEM has Full Control
    6. Check the box that says "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects"
    7. Click the OK button
    8. Try to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 again.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:34 AM

All replies

• Please read through this other thread on a similar issue. You didn't mention what Windows version you are using, but the suggestions may help you

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/4b035644-3193-489c-8839-a6aff80e512d/

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Ah, sorry. Windows XP, SP3.

Removing previous versions of .NET did not work. As noted previously, I've already set permissions, and I'm logged in as an administrator. Also running from a local disk.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:05 PM
  • Hi James,

Thank you for your post.

Based on the error message, it seems that you don't have enough permission to modify this file.
    Please check your user account that you are logged in as Administrator . If not, please elevate the privileges to get the full permission.

Please switch off the anti-Virus software during the installation.

Then try the following:

1. Open the folder: C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework in Windows Explorer
    2. Right-click on the folder and choose Sharing and Security
    3. Choose the Security tab
    4. Click the Advanced button
    5. Make sure that Users are listed as having Read & Execute permissions, Administrators have Full Control and SYSTEM has Full Control
    6. Check the box that says "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects"
    7. Click the OK button
    8. Try to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 again.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Thanks, Yichun Chen.  Turns out, SYSTEM didn't have permissions, either. Giving permissions there did the trick.

(Now to figure out why SQL Server 2k8 R2 is breaking. Ah, but that's not for this thread!)

Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Hi James,

It's my pleasure! I'm so glad to hear this good news!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, June 25, 2010 5:20 AM