Dell Inspiron Duo orientation switching

Question

• Hello -

Based on Steven Sinofsky's blog entry "Experiencing Windows 8 touch on Windows 7 hardware" from 9/13, I bought a Dell Inspiron Duo to test out the Windows 8 Developer Preview.  I was worried that it would be slow - and I wanted preserve the factory-original Windows 7 config - so I swapped out the original hard drive for a Crucial SSD.  I just got it all together and working today...  and it really runs the Windows Preview very well.  Highly recommended to anyone else that wants a relatively inexpensive touch-enabled tablet-esque device for the Preview.  The display resolution is 1366 x 768, which I believe to be the (minimum) required resolution for running all of the included metro-style apps.

Anyway, since Mr. Sinofsky mentioned that this is one of the devices that you (Microsoft) are using most commonly, I wonder if you have figured out how to activate the accelerometer for this unit.  I don't think it is recognized for Windows 8, so the orientation flipping - turning the Duo on its side, to activate portrait mode - is not working.  I think there might be other things that I am missing with no accelerometer support.

Does anyone (Microsoft or otherwise) have recommendations for getting this working?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:37 AM

Answers

• MisterDOS: There are known issues with the accelerometer driver on this platform unfortunately.

If we get updates, I'll post info on the "Tailoring your Metro style app for hardware and devices" forum.

Thanks,
    Gavin

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:50 PM

All replies

• Update:

I installed the 64-bit (Windows 7) driver for the STM Microelectronics 3-Axis Accelerometer/Magnetometer and it seems to be installed and working fine.  No problems indicated in Device Manager...  I got information about how to do this from this website:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19372851.aspx

Basically, I downloaded the Dell driver (identified as 32-bit) for this device and unpacked the downloaded file using WinZip.  In the unpacked folder there was a separate (and properly labeled) sub-folder for the 64-bit driver for this device.  I used that 64-bit driver sub-folder to install the device on the Windows Developer Preview.

Again, the driver appears to be installed and working okay - but still no orientation flipping by turning the Inspiron Duo on its side.  How can I get the Windows Developer Preview to recognize that I have an Accelerometer installed and use it to determine the orientation of the desktop - landscape/portrait/flipped landscape/etc.  Is there somewhere in the Developer Preview where I need to turn this on?

Many Thanks,

Jeremy

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:44 PM
  • MisterDOS: There are known issues with the accelerometer driver on this platform unfortunately.

If we get updates, I'll post info on the "Tailoring your Metro style app for hardware and devices" forum.

Thanks,
    Gavin

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Try irotate it seems to work except the wall paper does not fit but that may be me not adjusting settings.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:04 AM