none
Missing Installation Disk RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased my laptop (Inspiron 1525) May 2008 and it has been a very good computer and served me well. A few days ago I was looking for an item that is sold by Bed Bath and Beyond. During my search I saw "coupons for Bed Bath and Beyond" so I thought I would take a look at what they offered. As soon as I clicked on the link my computer began acting very strange and I backed out. I was unable to shut down chrome and I was unable to open another event of chrome so I did a forced shutdown. I ran a scan and ran CCleaner. I deleted some new files that had been added about the time I had the problem and I must have accidently deleted something that I shouldn't have. Every time I boot up now windows installer tries to update something but then I get an error that the Destination Component cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'Destinations.msi' I cannot find the disks that came with my computer if any did. I have moved three times since 2008. Is there a way to get the installation disks in order to try to correct this problem? I am due to buy a new computer but I hate to retire this old one because it has been so good to me for 7 years.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 3:12 AM

Answers

• Hello Mikeman46,

This forum exists to support our Open Specifications documents, so this isn't the right place to get help from Microsoft for this issue. The community is free to assist as they are able and willing (thanks, Skyluker!), but if you need to engage Microsoft then a more appropriate location would be either http://answers.microsoft.com or the Microsoft Answer Desk. You might be able to get recovery disks for your laptop from Dell, so you should consider contacting them as well.

Good luck, and I apologize that we are unable to assist you further here.

Best regards,
    Matt Weber | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

Saturday, February 21, 2015 7:50 PM

All replies