none
Mail Merge from Access Query with paramater RRS feed

• Question

• Cannot get Word 2016 to recognize Access 2016 query which requires a specific parameter to be entered. 

The merge works perfectly if I am using older MDB Access format but the query does not show in query list to merge from in 2016 format.  If I edit the query to remove the parameter request whish is simply enter a file number, it appears and works, once parameter added it disappears from the list

This scenario has worked perfectly for over a decade for me using previous Office versions of Word and Access. I have had to revert to previous version format of access to retain the functionality

Saturday, March 17, 2018 10:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I notice you mentioned that the issue happens when you use the query to retrieve the Address Lists from Access Database, and no issue if you remove a specific parameter.

To better fix the issue, I will move the thread to Access forum for more suggestion. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 19, 2018 10:03 AM
  • Cannot get Word 2016 to recognize Access 2016 query which requires a specific parameter to be entered. 

The merge works perfectly if I am using older MDB Access format but the query does not show in query list to merge from in 2016 format.  If I edit the query to remove the parameter request whish is simply enter a file number, it appears and works, once parameter added it disappears from the list

This scenario has worked perfectly for over a decade for me using previous Office versions of Word and Access. I have had to revert to previous version format of access to retain the functionality

That is weird and I never noticed that before. However, you can create your query as a new table then use that table. I know that's not what you are looking for. Only other options are using another program instead of MS-Word. 
    Monday, March 19, 2018 6:20 PM
  • Did you specify the parameter in the query? That may not be the problem, but it might help. Open your query in design view and click on the parameters icon. Specify your field and the data type. When you switch to SQL view you will see a PARAMETERS clause at the top. It will look something like this:

PARAMETERS [Order Date] DateTime;
    SELECT Orders.[Order ID], Orders.[Customer ID], Orders.[Order Date]
    FROM Orders;

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Monday, March 19, 2018 8:22 PM
  • Hello bosh77,

Has your original issue been resolved? If it has, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer or provide your solution and mark as answer to close this thread. If not, please feel free to let us know your current issue.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 26, 2018 9:58 AM
  • For many years I have used a method for merging from within Access by exporting the result table of a query to a text file, which is then used by Word as its data source.  You'll find an example in AccWord.zip in my public databases folder at:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=44CC60D7FEA42912&id=44CC60D7FEA42912!169

If you have difficulty opening the link, copy the link (NB, not the link location) and paste it into your browser's address bar.

This little demo file illustrates a number of automation operations, including merging, and has recently been updated to make it compatible with Office 2016.  The merge demo uses a query which references a hidden control in the form as the parameter, populating the control with a value list on the basis of selections in a multi-select list box, but it would work equally well with a visible text box or combo box as the parameter referenced in a query.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Monday, March 26, 2018 10:35 AM