Include framework Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml in UWP App install (Windows 10 IoT) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everybody

I'm currently in charge of the deployment of an UWP app for PC and Raspberry PI (Windows 10 "Classic" and IoT) and . The app is succesfully distributed on the Windows Store for desktop  x86 and x64 versions, but I need to release a dedicated .appxbundle for the ARM platform (ie : Raspberry PI 3 running Windows 10 IoT) as Windows Store is not available on this kind of devices. The App includes advertising from the Microsoft Advertising SDK.

In Visual Studio I tried to generate the ARM package not to upload on the Windows Store (Project -> Store -> Create app packages ... -> ... upload to Windows Store = No). I succesfully got the .appxbundle file. But when I tried to install the app on a Raspberry PI via the Apps manager of Windows Device Portal (App package + Deploy / Go) I get the following error :

Failure reason: Windows cannot install package Sigmagine.xxx_arm__xxx because this package depends on a framework that could not be found. Provide the framework "Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml" published by "CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US", with neutral or ARM processor architecture and minimum version 10.1609.2.0, along with this package to install. The frameworks with name "Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml" currently installed are: {}. Failure text: Package failed updates, dependency or conflict validation. (0x80073cf3)

So my question is : how to include the framework "Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml" in an UWP App install (Windows 10 IoT)?

In Visual Studio I tried (with no success) : Properties / C/C++ / Code Generation / Runtime Library = Multi-threaded /MT (as I usually did on old Win 32 apps to include some runtime library dlls statically), the error was "
    error MSB8024: Using static version of the C++ runtime library is not supported"

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerly,

Sam

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Samuel,

According to the error code, the possible cause is the "Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml" cannot be found. 

Unlike deploying via Store where dependencies are auto-download, sideloading is not installing the runtime for the ad framework which is itself an appx package.

You can include it in the bundle - the packages reside in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Kits\10\ExtensionSDKs\Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml\10.0\Appx :

After installing the framework, you can try installing your arm package.

If it helps, could you please mark it as answer so that other community can find it more conveniently.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 2, 2017 8:01 AM
  • Thanks a lot, it seems that it corresponds to my problem.

I have just one more question : how to include the Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml.ARM.10.0.appx package in my bundle ?I see no options in Visual Studio following the only way I know to generates bundles (Project -> Store -> Create app packages ... -> ... upload to Windows Store = No, Next, Generate app bundle = always, Create).

Sincerly.

Sam

Friday, June 2, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Hi Mattew,

Thanks again for your answer, sorry to be a little bit insistant, but I can't figure out how to include appx package in my bundle from Visual Studio, could you tell me how to do that ?

Best regards

Sam

Thursday, June 8, 2017 7:13 AM
  • Hi Sam,

You cannot generate the .appxbundle including the Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml.ARM.10.0.appx package through Visual Studio.

But we can use the bundle command to create an appbundle. See To create a package bundle using a directory structure or a mapping file.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 9:33 AM
  • Hi Mattew, still me ...

Sorry for delay, I had so much work last week. I tested MakeAppx this morning (I mean this morning in France). I made a bundle mapping file (MyApp.map) as follow :

[Files] "MyApp.appx"                                     "MyApp.appx"
    "Dependencies/ARM/Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml.ARM.10.0.appx" "Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml.ARM.10.0.appx"

Then I ran MakeAppx bundle /f "MyApp.map" /p "MyApp.appxbundle" but I got the following error :

Adding "Dependencies/ARM/Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml.ARM.10.0.appx" to the bundle as a payload package.  Its path in the bundle is "Dependencies\ARM\Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml.ARM.10.0.appx".
    MakeAppx : error: Error info: error 80080204 : The package with file name "Dependencies\ARM\Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml.ARM.10.0.appx" and package full name "Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml_10.1609.2.0_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe" is not valid in the bundle because it's a framework package.
    MakeAppx : error: Bundle creation failed.MakeAppx : error: 0x80080204 - The specified package format is not valid: The package manifest is not valid.

What I understand is that Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml appx can't be included that way in my bundle, can it ? Did I make something wrong ?

Thanks a lot again.

Sam

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:25 AM