try to understand how job works RRS feed

• Question

• i would like to know if i understand is currect

1. job is program that not active ( just saved on the hard disk) 

2. when user activate program then the program(that called "JOB") goes up into memory and it`s called "proccess" 

3. when proccess need IO he activate system call ( i read that is a system program) and the system call stop the proccess and turn it back to a job until the IO request is done , after that the job goes back into the area and return to be proccess

p.s

the proccess is the table in the " windows task manager"? 

wher is the table that stored the jobs ?

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:30 PM

All replies

• From what I know about job in windows is,

Job allows you to treat a set of processes as a single group. Using which you can apply different restrictions on all those processes at once.

1. job is program that not active ( just saved on the hard disk)

-> Job is not a program, it is a kernel object.

2. when user activate program then the program(that called "JOB") goes up into memory and it`s called "proccess

-> Since job is not a program, It is best to think of a job object as a container of processes.

3. when proccess need IO he activate system call ( i read that is a system program) and the system call stop the proccess and turn it back to a job until the IO request is done , after that the job goes back into the area and return to be proccess.

-> Job doesn't control IO activity, it is OS & process that does it. Process requestes and OS serves.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:45 AM