First Impression

General discussion

• I just wanted to share my first impression. I have been a long time user of Windows Phone and been watching a few of the Windows 8 preview vids so i am familiar with the the Metro style. However using it for the first time i felt lost for about 5 mins. It took me ages to figure out how to get the regular desktop as i then realised its not just apps that are tiles. This makes me wonder what the learning curve will be like for someone not very technical. Also i was using it through a VM and noticed that the touch gestures are disabled, i'm not sure if this is the same for desktop but it would be nice to be able to navigate the metro ui via a flick gesture. It defiantly didn't seem natural trying to navigate this with a mouse. Its great to see our old legacy apps that run on Windows 7 still work, at least with the small amount of basic testing i have done. 

I'm still have mixed opinions about metro through. I find that to much of the one colour makes it hard to differentiate things and i feel language is something that your brain has to focus on so if there is to much text all together i think its no longer natural as it requires constant interpretation. I think we find it easier to differentiate visual elements from one another, this is the type of environment we have evolved in. Win 8 does seem to do this a bit better than Windows Phone but it can still be a bit hard to relate functionality to a tile or group of tiles. In saying that i hope we can theme the Metro UI, tiles are a great idea but I've seem some much more appealing designs from the public. I also think it Desktop mode the Metro Start button doesn't fit. It would be better as the win 7 version or a different desktop theme. 

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:31 AM