Web site that needs diferent dwt set ups for different sections of the site and passords for them RRS feed

• Question

• I am reworking an old site I maintain.

Using Expression Web 4. I am using one of the canned templates that comes with it.

I have set up the main pages using the supplied dwt file. Now I have to set up at least 2 separate sections that will be for limited access members. The maneuvering tabs/buttons will be different than the main dwt file.

How do I accomplish this?

I will also need to know how to secure the 2 special sites with separate access passwords. These PW do not have to be special to each user. I just need 1 to get into each section.

How do I accomplish this?

Thanks

Bob

Monday, February 22, 2016 6:07 PM

All replies

• You set up separate areas of the site with different common content by using a different DWT for those pages.

Password protection must be done by some kind of scripting language with some way to store the results.  There is no general answer.  For the simplest case, ask your host if your control panel allows you to password protect specific directories.  If so, you might want to use that, and put the private sections of the site in password protected subdirectories.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Monday, February 22, 2016 6:23 PM
  • Im not to worried about the PW issue right now. That will come down the road. But thanks for the info about asking the hosting site. Will do that.

The DWT file. If I understanding what you are saying I can create another "Master.dwt" file and say name it Master2.dwt and set it up totally different for one of the other special areas??

Bob

Monday, February 22, 2016 7:28 PM
  • Forgot to add this in previous reply:

How do you link the master2.dwt to the new default.html files?

Bob

Monday, February 22, 2016 7:33 PM
  • Yes, you create another DWT with a different name. Create the new pages from that DWT rather than from the original one. (File -> New -> Create from Dynamic Web Template)

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Monday, February 22, 2016 8:03 PM