none
How to modify default mount point for external storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone

I want to learn if it's possible to change defaults mount point of external storage in Windows Embedded Compact 6/7 (I think underlying mechanism is same) with volume label of external storage like it's done in Linux. 

By default in Windows CE there are registry settings which defines default mount  point like below.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\USBHDProfile]
    "Name"="USB Disk"
    "Folder"="Storage Card USB"
    "DefaultFileSystem"="FATFS"

With this setting,when you plug an USB to a WinCE device it will  get the name  "Storage Card USB". If you plug more than one it'll get "Storage Card USB 2" and goes on.

What I want to do is bypassing or overriding this registry settings and use a naming convention similar to Linux. So instead of having "Storage Card USB" I want to have more descriptive wat.

I searched through shared sources and could not find a clue if volume label is read from USB. 

Does any of you have an idea on this issue ?

Best Regards

Tugrul

Tugrul Guclu Embedded Systems Expert PMP , MCTS tugrul.guclu at gmail

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:39 PM

All replies

• Volume labels are not used.   It may be possible to change it to use them, but I haven't looked into that.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hi Bruce

Thanks for feedback. I have been drilling into sources ,esp. to private sources and have seen no footprint that mentions volume label too.

But why MS forces us to use default names for external storage ?

Tugrul Guclu Embedded Systems Expert PMP , MCTS tugrul.guclu at gmail

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:50 PM