Azure development fabric + expiring Blob leases RRS feed

• Question

• There was a known issue a while back [1] that the Azure development fabric did not expire leases on Blobs. Has this been fixed? If not, is there a reason why, and is there any idea when it may be addressed?

This could become a potential roadblock to our app development...I know it works in the "live" storage, but that doesn't help the local dev + unit test scenarios (+ CI servers).

Input welcome...

[1]: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsazuredata/thread/9eb99448-2152-49f4-ac78-c96699046aa3

Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:50 AM

Answers

• Hello SagerCat,

The known issue was: After acquiring samlease on a blob, neither I m able to acquire lease on the e blob nor blob's lease status is changed to 'Unlocked' even after 2 hours.

I downloaded a sample project (the console application) from http://blog.smarx.com/posts/leasing-windows-azure-blobs-using-the-storage-client-library to run the test. What I did is commenting out the following code so that it is not releasing the blob lease.

//Console.WriteLine("Releasing the original lease...");
    //blob.ReleaseLease(leaseId);
    //Console.WriteLine("\tSuccess!");

When I run the application first time, it acquires blob lease withou releasing. After 30 seconds, I run the application second time it failed because the blob lease has not expired. After about 2 minutes, the application runs successfully. That means the blob lease expires in between 1 minute to 2 minutes.

If you need assistance in running this sample, please let me know.

Thanks,

Wengchao Zeng
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    • Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Monday, May 23, 2011 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hello SagerCat,

Thank you posting!

This is a quick note to let you know that I am performing research on this and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Wengchao Zeng
    Monday, May 16, 2011 10:27 AM
  • Hello SagerCat,

The known issue was: After acquiring samlease on a blob, neither I m able to acquire lease on the e blob nor blob's lease status is changed to 'Unlocked' even after 2 hours.

I downloaded a sample project (the console application) from http://blog.smarx.com/posts/leasing-windows-azure-blobs-using-the-storage-client-library to run the test. What I did is commenting out the following code so that it is not releasing the blob lease.

//Console.WriteLine("Releasing the original lease...");
    //blob.ReleaseLease(leaseId);
    //Console.WriteLine("\tSuccess!");

When I run the application first time, it acquires blob lease withou releasing. After 30 seconds, I run the application second time it failed because the blob lease has not expired. After about 2 minutes, the application runs successfully. That means the blob lease expires in between 1 minute to 2 minutes.

If you need assistance in running this sample, please let me know.

Thanks,

Wengchao Zeng
    • Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Monday, May 23, 2011 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:20 AM