none
Sizing, Planing and Migration of Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

In current environment we have Exchange 2010 org.  Total 4 servers in datacenter running on VM's .

2 HUB/CAS, 2 MBX servers and at DR site 1 HUB/CAS and 1 MBX server. 1 DAG having 3 Database copies including 1 at DR site. 

client info : 4000+ mailboxes, all client are connecting to primary site.

----------------------------------

We are planing to have new AD forest then will migrate all resource on it. it will be cross forest migration.

In new environment we will introduced total 4 Exchange 2016 mailbox servers in primary and secondary datacenter, two in each datacenter (Active/Active model so load can be distribute equally on each servers and also get site resiliency) 

And 1 DAG including 4 database copies,  2 in each datacenter.

Question 1 : can I use same SMTP namespace and same SSL certificate .

Question 2 : Will these  4 MBX servers able to manage 4000+ mailboxes? When I used exchange role calculator it is recommending to have total 8 servers. but in current environment we have only 4 servers at primary datacenrer (2 MBX and 2HUB/CAS) and till now we haven't face any performance issue. 

Question 3: Do we need to introduce new EDGE 2016 server ? In legacy exchange 2010 org we don't have EDGE server, for message hygiene we use CISCO system IronPort cloud solution . all inbound /outbound mail flow is passing through Ironport.

or can I use this CISCO IronPort for future mail flow and message hygiene. what is the best practice or recommendation?

needed RCA ... plz help..

Friday, October 19, 2018 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hello , 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/meamcs/2011/06/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-i/

Question 1 : can I use same SMTP namespace and same SSL certificate  ?

Yes you can use same SMTP namespace and we used to call it as a shared SMTP Namepsace . In your new exchange 2016 environment you need to add the domain type as "Internal Relay" in the accepted domains list  .By doing so , your are telling exchange 2016 servers ,  at first it  should look for the recipients who belongs to that shared domain name in exchange 2016 ,  if it is no there then it will route the mail via the dedicated send connector which you have created for the shared address space to route the mails to the user mailboxes in exchange 2010 

Likewise in your exchange 2010 environment  you need to add the domain type as "Internal Relay" in the accepted domains list  .By doing so your are telling exchange 2010 servers , at first it  should look for the recipients who belongs to that shared domain name in exchange 2010 , if it is no there then it will route the mail via the dedicated send connector which you have created for the shared address space to route the mails to the user mailboxes in exchange 2016.

Coming to the certificate part , As per my knowledge you can make use of the same certificate in exchange 2016 until if you are not going to use any new namespaces which is not present in the existing certificate for exchange exchange 2016 services .

Question 2 : Will these  4 MBX servers able to manage 4000+ mailboxes? When I used exchange role calculator it is recommending to have total 8 servers. but in current environment we have only 4 servers at primary datacenrer (2 MBX and 2HUB/CAS) and till now we haven't face any performance issue? 

it depends on the server hardware configuration that you have for your exchange 2016 deployment  .In this part i don't want to talk much in a theoretical way .As because this is a crucial part which comes in to designing and sizing .

Question 3: Do we need to introduce new EDGE 2016 server ? In legacy exchange 2010 org we don't have EDGE server, for message hygiene we use CISCO system IronPort cloud solution . all inbound /outbound mail flow is passing through Ironport.

or can I use this CISCO IronPort for future mail flow and message hygiene. what is the best practice or recommendation?

Edge server is not required in your case .As you have Cisco Iron Port already in place For Anti Spamming solutions .You should set your exchange 2016 environment to send all the outbound mails to external domains through your exchange 2010 servers .By doing that way you can address this requirement .

Which means In your exchange 2016 environment you need to create the new send connector which should route all the emails to the external domains through exchange 2010 servers .At the end your mail flow from exchange 2016 to external domains will be like this .

Exchange 2016 -> Exchange 2010 -> Cisco Iron Port -> Internet .

Your inbound mail flow from internet to the user mailboxes in exchange 2016 will be like this way 

Internet -> Cisco iron port -> Exchange 2010 -> Exchange 2016

Doing a cross forest is a not easy task , i would recommend you to open a support case with MS to check your design, sizing and action plan. 

Friday, October 19, 2018 11:01 AM