License Keys after MSDN Subscription is Transferred to Another User RRS feed

• Question

• If we transfer the MSDN subscription from a former employee to another employee, does the new employee get the same license keys as the former employee or do they get new keys?

Thanks.

• Moved by Forrest Guo Tuesday, December 25, 2012 3:12 AM (From:Getting Started With Visual Studio Team System)
    Monday, December 24, 2012 2:01 PM

Answers

• Brian it sounds like you're a VL user and you're talking about using the VLSC tool to revoke a subscription from one user, and then issue a subscription to a new one, maintaining the same license count for your company.   This process actually 'cancels' the old subscription and then issues a new one, rather than transferring.  The wording I used before is more for retail users who transfer from one to another.  Likely the new user's subscriber ID is different than the old one.    But the old one still exists in our system, it just doesn't let the user claim new keys or download new downloads.

To find out what keys the old user claimed, you need that old subscriber's subscription info.  The first, last, email address, and Subscriber ID.  You should be able to use this information here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/add/ , add it to your Live ID, and then view the Keys page to see what keys were claimed.

If you still have issues, since you're getting into the specifics of how VL subscriptions are managed, I recommend contacting our VL experts that can pull up your account, walk you through the VLSC, and general just be able to help you more than I can :)  You can find these folks by asking for a "VL Champ" when contacting MSDN Subscriptions Customer Service using contact information posted here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

Again the license licenses *users* so if the old user installed it on some machines at your company, and those machines are today accessed by MSDN Licensees, you don't need to change them out even though the old user is no longer licensed. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brian Slingerland Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:07 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:52 PM

All replies

• The same keys.  The license transfer situation is spelled out in the (very) long licensing Whitepaper linked from the MSDN Licensing page here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx.  

The MSDN license the user for development, test and demonstration rights for the software and keys included in the subscription.  When the user changes, everything included in the Subscription also changes to that user. 

Thanks,
    Mke

• Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:20 PM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Thanks for the info. We were able to transfer to another user but all keys show as unclaimed. Do they reset for the new user? We are trying to see if the previous user claimed keys and what keys might be in use.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Brian it sounds like you're a VL user and you're talking about using the VLSC tool to revoke a subscription from one user, and then issue a subscription to a new one, maintaining the same license count for your company.   This process actually 'cancels' the old subscription and then issues a new one, rather than transferring.  The wording I used before is more for retail users who transfer from one to another.  Likely the new user's subscriber ID is different than the old one.    But the old one still exists in our system, it just doesn't let the user claim new keys or download new downloads.

To find out what keys the old user claimed, you need that old subscriber's subscription info.  The first, last, email address, and Subscriber ID.  You should be able to use this information here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/add/ , add it to your Live ID, and then view the Keys page to see what keys were claimed.

If you still have issues, since you're getting into the specifics of how VL subscriptions are managed, I recommend contacting our VL experts that can pull up your account, walk you through the VLSC, and general just be able to help you more than I can :)  You can find these folks by asking for a "VL Champ" when contacting MSDN Subscriptions Customer Service using contact information posted here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

Again the license licenses *users* so if the old user installed it on some machines at your company, and those machines are today accessed by MSDN Licensees, you don't need to change them out even though the old user is no longer licensed. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Mike

• Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brian Slingerland Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:07 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Thanks Mike. Yes, I am under a volume license orgnaization but I am not the site admin. Would the site admin have to find out what keys the old user claimed? Either way, I'll contact him to see what he can do. Thanks again for your help and clear explanation.
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:07 PM
  • No problem!  As far as I know the only person that can see the keys is whoever has that old subscription associated to their Microsoft Account.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Mike

Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:10 PM