none
Making VS2010 project in VS2015

All replies

• It should be possible to open an old project in VS2015, but you will probably get a few errors and warnings that you will need to fix before it builds properly. Try it and see, making sure you are backed up first.
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 11:11 PM
  • Hi Jeff0803,

Thank you for posting here.

You could right click your project and choose Open with and then choose visual studio 2015 to open your project.

I hope this would be helpful to you.

If you have something else, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 08, 2016 1:39 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

As your issue is related to Visual Studio I am moving your thread to Visual Studio General forum for getting quick response.

Thanks,
    Sabah Shariq

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, December 12, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Thanks for kind answer.

However my question was not exactly transmitted.

I need to receive some C# project file from other person who use Visual Studio 2015.

And I'm using Visual Studio 2010.

In VS 2010, I cannot open VS 2015 project.

So I need to ask him to save VS 2015 project as VS 2010 project.

I want to know if it's possible.

Monday, December 12, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Hi Jeff0803,

If the VS2015 project doesn't use VS2015 features or any .NET features available only in .NET 4.5 and newer, because VS 2010 is limited to .NET 4.0 and older, you could open it in low version of Visual Studio with following steps.

1. Open the .sln file with Notepad. You could see the version of Visual Studio in .sln file as below.
    2. modify the Format Version 12.00 to 11.00, Visual Studio 14 to Visual Studio 10 as following image.
    3.  Save it and open this project with VS2010.

Please note, not used any features new to VS 2015 or any .NET features available only in .NET 4.5 and newer and backup the project before do above steps.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 1:47 AM