Remote Debugging Failing on LOCAL COMPUTER?

Question

• I have a problem that is driving me nuts. Intermittently when trying to debug my application on my local machine. I get the following error message.

Unable to start debugging - C:\windows\system32\WWAHOST.exe

The Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor

(MSVSMON.EXE) does not appear to be running on the remote computer. This may be because a firewall is preventing communication to the remote computer. Please see HELP for assistance on configuring remote debugging.

Now, I am not trying to debug this app on a remote computer. It is on my local computer. Once I get this error I am forced to shut down visual studio and reload my app before I am able to debug again. It is very frustrating to be sure. Also even when it does allow me to debug it seems to take forever for the app to load.

Now before you jump in here and say it is something wrong in my application, think again. This happens to all applications even a blank app.

I have reinstalled Visual Studio, Remote Debugging Tools - No help.

I have other computers and they all seem to work fine but this is my main dev computer. I have searched the web for answers but all suggestions have failed.

Some suggestions where turn off your VPN connection. I do not have a VPN so that will not work. Another one was to reinstall Remote Debugging with Update 1. Been there did that and no help at all with this problem. All other suggestions for those people actually running their apps on a remote computer which is not the case here. Please help!!!

Thursday, April 4, 2013 11:15 PM

Answers

• That does not look like a known issue. If you would like to understand the root cause, consider opening a support case with us for direct help. You can open a support case using your developer account and visiting the following link: http://getsupport.microsoft.com and then choose "Development tools and languages" and "Debugging and testing apps".

@prashantphadke || Windows Store Developer Solutions #WSDevSol || Want more solutions? See our blog! http://aka.ms/t4vuvz

• Marked as answer by Song Tian Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:06 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 10:38 PM

All replies

• Do you have any Anti-Virus software that might be blocking the msvsmon.exe from getting launched or from it to open a port on the local machine?

When you start debugging, try opening the Task Manager, go to details view and sort by name. Then try to start debugging through Visual Studio and keep watching at Task Manager to see if MSVSMON.exe even starts up. You can try to see if there are any events getting logged (on the start screen, type eventvwr to start the event viewer and check if you get any errors).

Thanks,

Prashant.

@prashantphadke || Windows Store Developer Solutions #WSDevSol || Want more solutions? See our blog! http://aka.ms/t4vuvz

Friday, April 5, 2013 12:24 AM
  • No and as a matter of fact I disabled my firewall just to make sure it was not causing this problem. I am running Zone Alarm.  There are no events logged in the event viewer and when it does not work it does not even attempt to load the MSVSMON.exe. When it is working it does load fine. Like I said it is strange because sometimes it works then all of a sudden I start to get this error and I can not debug on my local computer until I shut down VS and restart it then all is fine for about 3 or 4 runs or other times 20 to 30 or maybe 10. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Then it starts again with the same problem.

I should note that when it does allow me to debug my app it takes nearly 30 secs before it actually runs. When this error begins to popup it is instantaneous. The moment I click run on my local machine it pops up with this error message.

Sometimes it tells me another message but this one is not a failure message it tells me the process is taking longer than it should or something like that then it drops me back to VS before the app finishes loading and when I ALT-TAB I can see it is actually running just fine but it just took too long to start it up. This message I get about half as much as the one that tells me it can not debug.

Friday, April 5, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Update. I found an error in the event viewer log under windows logs application

Activation of app xxx.xxx_pnqjvpz2xttdw!App failed with error: The app didn't start

See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Here is what I found in the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log:

Note: I have removed all personal info here and replaced it with a X's

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell" Guid="{315A8872-923E-4EA2-9889-33CD4754BF64}" />
      <EventID>5961</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>5961</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-04-05T02:11:51.984256100Z" />
      <EventRecordID>40513</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="10028" ThreadID="7224" />
      <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational</Channel>
      <Computer>xxx</Computer>
      <Security UserID="xxx" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="AppId">xxx.xxx_pnqjvpz2xttdw!App</Data>
      <Data Name="ContractId">Windows.Launch</Data>
      <Data Name="ErrorCode">-2144927141</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Friday, April 5, 2013 2:21 AM
  • That does not look like a known issue. If you would like to understand the root cause, consider opening a support case with us for direct help. You can open a support case using your developer account and visiting the following link: http://getsupport.microsoft.com and then choose "Development tools and languages" and "Debugging and testing apps".

• Marked as answer by Song Tian Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:06 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 10:38 PM