none
How to organize a large number of options in the Ribbon? (Is something like a CheckedListBox available?) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

This is my first post so I hope it's somewhere close to the right forum. :) Basically I am designing an application for Excel using Visual Studio 2008 and I'm not sure how to lay things out.

Basically I need the user to choose from a set of options, and each of those have a set of sub-options. So they choose one (or more) of A,B,C and D and then have the option to be more specific (Aa, Ab, Ac, Ad, Ba, etc.). What I'm envisioning is something like a DropDown box (but allowing multiple items to be selected, unlike the default DropDown) and then maybe an "Advanced" button that brings up a pop-up filled with CheckBoxs for selecting the more detailed options.

So to sum it up, I have two things I need to know.

1. Is there a version of the DropDown box that supports picking more than one item?

2. Is it possible make a pop-up with more details (i.e. a bunch of checkboxes sorted in columns) and send that data back to the code tied to the Ribbon? The pop-up would need to generate dynamically (because, for example, if the user doesn't select B from the original dropdown, then Ba, Bb, Bc, ... shouldn't be listed as options).

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Friday, October 12, 2012 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Keilan

1. No, there's no Ribbon control that supports multiple selections

2. A "pop-up" would have to be a Windows Form, WPF Form, or possibly a task pane (Actions pane if this is a VSTO workbook solution; custom task pane if it's an add-in). These three all support the full spectrum of Windows Forms and WPF controls as well as custom User Controls. The right place to get assistance with how to program these to do what you envision would be a forum for Windows (or WPF) Forms.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Keilan

1. No, there's no Ribbon control that supports multiple selections

2. A "pop-up" would have to be a Windows Form, WPF Form, or possibly a task pane (Actions pane if this is a VSTO workbook solution; custom task pane if it's an add-in). These three all support the full spectrum of Windows Forms and WPF controls as well as custom User Controls. The right place to get assistance with how to program these to do what you envision would be a forum for Windows (or WPF) Forms.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Thanks Cindy. It's too bad no multi-select is available, but your post is a good start on how to go about it.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 3:40 PM