none
XAML Designer not showing

Question

• I recently updated my visual studio and since then XAML deisgner stopped showing, only XAML code windows is visible.

Any solution ?

P.S. Building for Windows 10 Universal APP on build sdk 10.0.10586.15

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 9:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Panthera_uncia,

>>I recently updated my visual studio and since then XAML deisgner stopped showing, only XAML code windows is visible.

What is the update did you install, the VS2015 update 1?

Could you share us the detailed error if you open the Designer in your solution explorer?

One feedback I know is that the Univeral Apps have the Designer issue which was related to the project property like this thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/bd1e0c2f-dd59-4055-8576-2bd594d8f074/vs2015-community-uwp-designer-does-not-load?forum=visualstudiogeneral

So you could check that whether it is the same issue as this one.

If not, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:48 AM
  • I get exactly the same issue!

I open the XAML file and only get code, If I try open the designer, either from "View-->Designer" or "Shift+F7", I get another window exactly the same showing only the XAML code, not the designer view. 

I've tried the above suggested fix and it makes no difference, VS behaves in exactly the same way. Any assistance would be much appreciated as I am currently struggling to get any development done.

Environment info below:

Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015
    Version 14.0.24720.00 Update 1
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01055

Windows 10 Enterprise Build 10240

The following Windows SDK's are installed:

Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:37 PM
  • Hi Panthera_uncia,

What about this issue? Could you share us the latest information about this issue?

I repro this issue in my side using the VS2015 update 1 in windows 10, I could also repro this issue, but if I change the property target version =Build 10240, I could view the designer:

@NABKAB,

Maybe it is not the same reason even if you also get the same result like Panthera_uncial and me.

If possible, please check that whether it is related to the "open with" editor, please also reset your VS settings, and then re-create a new simple uwp app, test it again.

Please also repair your VS, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, December 11, 2015 9:44 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Tried the "Open With" and XAML designer doesn't appear in my list (sorry can't post screenshots or I would show you)

I've tried resetting the VS settings, repair VS, full remove/reinstall nothing has resolved the issue.

Regards

Friday, December 11, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Hi NABKAB,

If you open the same app in other VS2015 machine, how about the result?

Did you get any error message or warning when you install the VS2015 or the Update 1 for the first time?

Could you re-install the Update 1 singly here?

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2015-update1-vs.aspx

After start the update 1, please also make sure that you enalbe all options which were related to the Universal apps, and then restart your machine, and then re-create a simple app, check the result.

If the same app still has this issue in other VS2015 with update 1 machine using the same setup file, please make sure that it is not the VS setup file's issue:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx

If just your VS2015 machine has this issue, maybe we could check that whether it is the setup issue:

Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, December 14, 2015 5:49 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Many thanks for the response. I re-downloaded the installer however since Update1 is already installed it won't make any changes.

I only have access to one other machine with VS2015 and it doesn't have Update 1 installed. My clean test app opens the designer without any issues on there. I'm reluctant to update the other machine until the issues on mine are fully resolved. 

I've run the collect tool and uploaded the results as requested here https://goo.gl/OJSolT

Thanks

Monday, December 14, 2015 10:10 AM
  • Hi NABKAB,

It seems that no direct setup error, I just get the message:

Windows SDK AddOn -- Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one.

Maybe you could re-install the Windows SDK, check it again.

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/downloads/sdk-archive

Please also disable all add-ins in your VS IDE, and then run your VS as the admin, check it again.

>>Many thanks for the response. I re-downloaded the installer however since Update1 is already installed it won't make any changes.

Did you get any error when you setup the update 1? Please make sure that it is not the setup file issue:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx

If no error during update1 setup, to really make sure that whether it is related to the update 1, please uninstall the update 1 from the control panel, and then test it again in this VS2015.

If we make sure that it is the update 1's issue, I suggest yousubmit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx,Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:14 AM
  • Thanks Jack, I'll give these a try. 
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:43 AM
  • You are welcome, NABKAB:)

If you get any latest information, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day,

Jack

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:31 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:56 PM
  • Hi MusikLabor,

As Jack said that "Maybe it is not the same reason even if you also get the same result like Panthera_uncial and me".

Please try above steps to check whether that steps can resolve your problem. If not, I suggest you to create a new thread in our forum to describe what you have done and tell us the test result. It can help us troubleshooting your problem based on the test result.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:00 AM
  • thanks a lot :D 
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 9:44 AM