none
Sorting grouped tasks in MS Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum,

I created a view and grouped the tasks in MS Project 2010. The following problem comes up: As I can only change between "ascending" and "descending" while creating the Group, all my tasks sort alphabetically but I want to have them arranged in chronological order. When I try to sort them, they stay as they are.

One solution I could think of would be to add for example numbers in front of my tasks (e.g. 1_task1, 2_task2..) so Project would arrange them accordingly but that would not look nice, neither would I have to Change it manually each time.

Another solution would be to create a custom field including the sequence and then Group my tasks accordingly but I was wondering if any of you folks know any smart solution to this problem?

Regards,

Heiner

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Heiner,

I would suggest adding the Finish field as another grouping level and order it ascending. This way your tasks will be displayed chronological but you will have one more level in your view

Hope this helps

Paul

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:43 PM
  • Hello Paul,

thanks a lot for your quick answer! It's a good idea but as I have created a Top-Management Schedule I do not want to have this addidional grouping which would visually Impact the Top Level view and mix tasks of different Projects inside my Project file into different categories....

Maybe any further ideas?

Regards,

Heiner

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Once you've created your group, sort the tasks by start date.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:29 PM
  • Thanks Ben,

but this is what I have tried. Unfortunately this does not solve my Problem as it sorts the Tasks within the groups but not the order of showing the Groups...

Any other suggestions maybe?

Regards,
    Heiner

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 12:08 PM
  • Heiner,

I believe the attached link explains that unfortunately what you are requesting is not possible.  I was looking for something similar to this as well.

http://www.msofficeforums.com/project/10176-groups-sorted-start-date-ms-project.html

I'm using PWA 2010 and open up a portfolio of projects at one time.  The best work around I have found is remove the grouping, insert the field called "Project", and then sort by Project, then by start date.

Good luck,

Sandy

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:23 PM