MS ODBC SQL SERVER Driver Communication Link Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've  been having issues with an Sql connection for some time, The server has been replaced, 2003 R2 to 2008 R2,  the issues occured before and after the server was migrated to new hardware. once or twice an hour a  users connection is dropped, causing table locks, and other errors.

All network switches have also been replaced, network cabling betwwen the desktop \ server and switch have also been tested. The Sql Server was rebuilt to 2008 R2 ( DC) with SQL 2008 SP2, I dont understand how the problem can still exist with all of the changes made, new server, Clean OS, Clean install of SQL, New Switches.

Al users have local administrator rights on there Windows 7 desktops.

Users are connected using a DSN connection to the DB, the connection is dropping with the following errors:

1. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Communication Link Failure.

2. The Table CRIMESLOCK could not be locked. it has probably been locked by another users.....

3. Event ID: 1000 Application Error.
    Faulting application name: cmisadmin.exe, version: 12.1.13.0, time stamp: 0x4f86efa4
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec49b60
    Exception code: 0xc0000006
    Fault offset: 0x00064b8e
    Faulting process id: 0xe38
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd55c927271bd8
    Faulting application path: T:\admin\cmisadmin.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 88cd25c3-c1bc-11e1-a398-d02788b249ec

4. Event ID: 1005 Application Error

Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Facility Administration because of this error.

Program: Facility Administration
    File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
    User Action
    1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
    2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
    - It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
    - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
    3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
    4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
    5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
    Error value: C00000C4

I have monitored the network on Server and Client, and the network connection is not dropping.

I'm Really stuck with this one, any help would be appreciated

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:16 PM

Answers

• Right, i think i might have found the issue,  All 6 computers have the same SID.

We have gone though am elimination proccess, Sql, network, OS, AV and this is the only possiblity left.

all computers will be sysprep'd next week, ( PC were not installed by us) .

Sunday, June 2, 2013 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please run “ping –t “ from a user computer. Look for intermittent network connection failures. This often can be observed as you get some replies from the server using the ping command, and sometimes you don’t. I am not sure if you tested this way.

Look for long round trip delays (dozens or hundreds of milliseconds) also.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:02 PM
  • Thanks Alberto....i have run alot of continous ping tests, which didn't show any failures ( to my disapointment) , this was first thought. A few delays, but nothing consistant or major.
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Hello,

Try to disable security software or antivirus software.

What about firewall issue? Is that possible on that scenario?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Firewall is off, haven't tried disabling the av...will try tomorrow thanks
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Hello,

It could be antivirus activity…

Keep us posted.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:05 PM
  • Hi ,

Did u checked ur database consistency..sometimes inonsistent DB can also cause problem

Also as Alberto said it seems to be a AW issue....and i believe him cozz i have faced this issue

Two link fr ur ref please

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942861

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/4d8fcb52-410a-41f6-9f80-1223c4844ea5

Soldier..Sir we are surrounded from all sides by enemy.. Major: Good, we can attack in any direction Thats attitude.. Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Right, i think i might have found the issue,  All 6 computers have the same SID.

We have gone though am elimination proccess, Sql, network, OS, AV and this is the only possiblity left.

all computers will be sysprep'd next week, ( PC were not installed by us) .

Sunday, June 2, 2013 5:07 PM