Have an Access 2007/2010 Database Open in the background RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, I have an Access Database that I feed data into through Excel and a Numberof Macros, Is it possible to have my Access Database open But not visible? (Its cant be on the Taskbar) So When I Open my Excel Sheet, It also Opens The database but sets it to hidden? Just do I dont have to keep opening it everytime I want to feed Data to It? but be able to have it Visible on a separate Macro.

Thanks

Tom

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:13 PM

Answers

• If you use ADO or DAO to connect to a database from Excel, you're not using the Access interface at all; ADO and DAO communicate with the data (tables/queries) only.

You can open an ADO connection object or DAO database object, and keep it open as long as needed. That is more efficient than opening and closing it all the time. Access doesn't need to be running for this.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by t0m46 Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:59 PM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:29 PM

All replies

• If you use ADO or DAO to connect to a database from Excel, you're not using the Access interface at all; ADO and DAO communicate with the data (tables/queries) only.

You can open an ADO connection object or DAO database object, and keep it open as long as needed. That is more efficient than opening and closing it all the time. Access doesn't need to be running for this.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by t0m46 Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:59 PM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:29 PM
  • For the record, you can hide the Access shell and set windows to Popups (mvps.org/access has an example), and I can't think of any reason it'd be different for '10 (last time I used it was '03), but the practice has a few inherent "gotchyas" - not quite bugs, but there's a lot of sidework in programming to go along with it to ensure it works correctly all the time.

That said, I certainly agree with Hans that connecting via ADO or DAO would be the better practice.

Cheers,

Jack D. Leach (Access MVP)
    UtterAccess Wiki: (Articles, Functions, Classes, VB7 API Declarations and more)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:55 PM
  • Hi Thanks, for your reply. I am using DAO so that is fine and I will just keep the connection open longer. If I have two PCs on the same network and the Database is in a Shared Folder on one PC with access installe for editing etc. If the Other PC is just connecting to the database using DAO would you have to have access installed on that PC or would it work without?

Thanks

Tom

Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Access doesn't have to be installed if you use DAO.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:22 PM