none
How can I sign inf driver for Windows Vista & Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to digitally sign a driver for Windows Vista and Windows 8.1.

I have downloaded WDK 8.1 and followed the process indicated by MSDN for kernel-mode driver signing and signed the driver.

When installing the driver in Windows 7 and above, everything works fine. Nevertheless in Windows Vista the driver appears unsigned.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to resolve it?

Thank you in advance!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:30 PM

Answers

• Well since the Windows 8.1 WDK is only for Windows 7 and above, you should not be surprised that the driver is not digitally signed for Vista.  For Vista use the Windows 8 WDK with Visual Studio 2012 (or drop back to the Windows 7 WDK if you don't have VS2012).  This will sign things correctly.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:36 PM
  • if properly signed, win8.1 will treat a package signed for a previous is as signed.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:27 PM

All replies

• Well since the Windows 8.1 WDK is only for Windows 7 and above, you should not be surprised that the driver is not digitally signed for Vista.  For Vista use the Windows 8 WDK with Visual Studio 2012 (or drop back to the Windows 7 WDK if you don't have VS2012).  This will sign things correctly.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:36 PM
  • But if I sign the .cat file with Windows 8 WDK the driver will appear unsigned in Windows 8.1, right?

Is there a way to sign the .cat file for both?

• Edited by Konstans Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:47 PM
  • if properly signed, win8.1 will treat a package signed for a previous is as signed.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:27 PM
  • So your proposal is sign the driver using WDK 7?

• Edited by Konstans Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Singed my driver with WDK 7 and seems to work fine in all Windows versions. Thank you!
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:14 AM
  • Hello Konstans,

Did you run HCK and HLK tests and submit to microsoft? Or just sign it using WDK?

Jennifer.

Friday, June 30, 2017 9:14 PM