Set StaticResource Grid.Column Not Working

Question

• I have a StackPanel that looks like this:

<StackPanel x:Name="MyStack" Grid.Row="10" Grid.Column="2" Grid.ColumnSpan="2" Orientation="Horizontal" Margin="0,20,0,0">
    </StackPanel>

When I go into SnappedView, I'd like this StackPanel to move to Grid.Column 1, and only span 1 column. The code in my VisualStateManager looks like this:

<ObjectAnimationUsingKeyFrames Storyboard.TargetProperty="(FrameworkElement.Style)" Storyboard.TargetName="MyStack">
      <DiscreteObjectKeyFrame KeyTime="0" Value="{StaticResource TEST}"/>
    </ObjectAnimationUsingKeyFrames>

with the following style declared at the start of the page:

<common:LayoutAwarePage.Resources>
      <CollectionViewSource x:Name="CollectionViewSource" x:Key="CollectionViewSource" />
        <Style x:Key="TEST" TargetType="StackPanel">
          <Setter Property="Grid.Column" Value="1"/>
        </Style>

However, the StackPanel doesn't switch columns, and since all my other content is already in Column 1, the entire StackPanel is hidden offscreen. How do I get my StackPanel to switch columns/colspans in this way?

I should mention that I'm trying to switch columns in the StaticResources section because I have several elements I'd like to control in this way, instead of manually specifying for each and every item.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Would you please provide us the whole codes to reproduce this issue,

You can upload your project to skydriver
    http://skydrive.live.com/

It is not necessary that you send out the whole of your project. We just need a simplest sample to reproduce the problem. You can remove any confidential information or business details from it.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, July 9, 2012 9:05 AM
  • AFAIK this is not a bug. This is expected.

The solution may be the same as for your other problem, in this other thead http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithnativecode/thread/317c1719-72c7-4875-945f-22872657cb0d

Properties set in styles don't overwrite properties which are set in the control, but properties set in a control override properties set in the style.

If you want a style to modify the property of a control, don't set this property in the control definition.

The solution is to define two styles, one for standard view, and one for snapped view.
    • Proposed as answer by Pierre Morel-Fourrier Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by inspira Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:19 AM