Invisible Cursor on wake

Question

• I face a problem where the computer cursor is missing when the laptop wakes up from sleep or hibernation. I have to restart the entire PC so that the cursor re-appers. Do u guys face this problem?

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:39 AM

Answers

• Ok,
    So suddenly some boot file was corrupted and i had no choice but to restore back to Windows 7. Using the Windows Setup file provided by Microsoft Connect, I managed to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Windows Developer Preview. Now there is no invisible cursor when i put the computer in sleep mode.

Quote: "From the report, it seems that your Power Plan is OEM Balanced. Not sure what your OEM has changed in this Power Plan. OEM would need to tell you." I have installed the Acer ePower Management Driver thus probably that's why my power plan is OEM Balanced.

I installed NVIDIA GeForce GT415M drivers from Windows Update and NVIDIA PhysX (v9.10.0224), ALPS Pointing Device Driver (v7.105.2015.1107) and Intel Chipset Drivers (v9.1.1.1025) from Acer.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:54 PM

All replies

• Lamak Qutbuddin Maimoon,

Have you tried a refresh to see if this alleviates your problem?

To do a refresh of your machine then please do the following:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files”.

4. Click the Next button at the “Refresh your PC” step of the wizard.

· This first step of the wizard is shown in a green strip that covers the middle portion of the screen.

· The description text at this step shows the following:

Here’s what will happen:

· Your files and personalization settings won’t change.

· Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

· Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

5. Insert the USB key or DVD with the Windows installation files if prompted.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Insert your Windows installation or recovery media

· Some files are missing. The media will provide these files.

· As soon as you insert the media, the wizard automatically moves to the next step.

6. Click the Refresh button at the “Ready to refresh your PC” step.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Your PC will restart. This will take a few minutes.

At this point, the PC will restart and the Push Button Reset process will take over. Once completed, your PC will reboot and the user will be left at the Lock Screen where they can log back in with their existing user account.

“When you reset your PC your personal files and apps will be removed and your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.”

Please post back with the results

Thanks,

Chris
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Hi sir, the Windows Store isn't functioning in this developer preview, that means all the software and drivers i installed will be gone? Is there any way to back them up?
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:10 AM
  • Lamak Qutbuddin Maimoon,

Before you complete these steps it is a good idea to create a backup of any data that you don't want to lose. If you want to back up your data from Windows Developer Preview:

• Enter the start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click More settings at the bottom of the left column
    • Click Restore Windows 7 backups
    • Click Set up backup

Additional backup ideas can be found by looking at the link below which is specific to Windows Vista and Windows 7, but still applicable to Windows Developer Preview:
    How to back up files and recover data

Chris
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Alright sir,

I am trying out the refresh PC step now

Monday, October 03, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hi sir, the refresh was not successful. I have taken the video of the process. How do i attach it here, there is no option for attaching vids.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 9:13 AM
  • hi here,

this probleme is probably due to device driver not responding well to Wake up calls.

you could try to disable energy saving check boxes on your devices (input and video) as a temporary fix.

i ran into issues with my Bluetooth controller losing connectivity after hibenation,this fixed it.

Win8 is currently Under developpement and driver support, even if amazingly good, still has dark spots :)

that should be fixed in general Beta release, if manufacturers are beeing made aware of issues, so post a feed to your PC manufacturer to get him on tracks asap :)

keep us posted,

Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Monday, October 03, 2011 11:01 AM
  • I face a problem where the computer cursor is missing when the laptop wakes up from sleep or hibernation. I have to restart the entire PC so that the cursor re-appers. Do u guys face this problem?

I faced the same problem today. After repeatedly unplugging/turning on/off my Razer Mamba (4G 2012 model), I was able to get mouse cursor back. I am using latest Windows 7 drivers for the mouse.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 11:56 AM
  • I installed the latest OEM Drivers for my ALPS Pointing device from the Acer Singapore website. Laptop model Acer Aspire 4741G.

ALPS Pointing Device Driver: Version 7.105.2015.1107

NVIDIA GeForce GT415M CUDA: Version 8.17.12.7045 (From Windows Update)

This problem cropped up a few weeks after I installed Windows Developer Preview and drivers.

Current Developer Preview version: Build 8102.winmain_win8m3.110912-1733.92eb4451821f0730
    Monday, October 03, 2011 2:24 PM
  • hi there, again,

have you tried the previous action: toggle the check box about energy saving options OFF for the impacted hardware.

even most actual drivers are not ment to be used with Win8 Wake up calls, and optionally, that did the trick for my Mouse (bluetooth) and my screen brightness auto adjust, which kept darkening the screen no matter what after a Wake up from hibernation...

keep us posted,

best regards,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Monday, October 03, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Hi there,

It works, but obviously i cant leave it powered on on battery power for a long time.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Hello Lamak Qutbuddin Maimoon,

You can use Powercfg in a command prompt to run an Power Energy report. It analyzes the system for common energy-efficiency and battery life problems.

Go to a command prompt. Run as administrator.

Type in: Powercfg /energy

It will return if it finds any errors or warning.
    The report is a .html file that can be viewed.

Let us know if it returns and errors and we can help with the results.

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name LAMAK-PC
    Scan Time 2011-10-08T03:09:30Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Manufacturer Acer
    System Product Name Aspire 4741
    BIOS Date 04/28/2011
    BIOS Version V1.31
    OS Build 8102
    Platform Role PlatformRoleMobile
    Plugged In true
    Process Count 68
    Thread Count 824
    Report GUID {43b8bb38-96dd-4a84-a34f-195e79b17f2b}

Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:Dim timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
    The display is not configured to automatically dim after a period of inactivity.
    Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
    The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
    USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
    The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B34
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_3B34
    Port Path  
    USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
    The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name Generic USB Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B34
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_0020
    Port Path 1
    CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
    The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 28.02

Warnings

Power Policy:Display timeout is long (On Battery)
    The display is configured to turn off after longer than 15 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 600
    Power Policy:Display timeout is long (Plugged In)
    The display is configured to turn off after longer than 10 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 900
    Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
    The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
    CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
    This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Name lxeacoms.exe
    PID 1828
    Average Utilization (%) 24.91
    Module Average Module Utilization (%)
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\lxeaserv.dll 24.64
    \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys 0.10
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.05
    This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Name msnmsgr.exe
    PID 1240
    Average Utilization (%) 0.50
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared\uxcore.dll 0.11
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.08
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash11c.ocx 0.04
    Process Name dwm.exe
    PID 980
    Average Utilization (%) 0.40
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll 0.11
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll 0.10
    Process Name iexplore.exe
    PID 2904
    Average Utilization (%) 0.31
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\mshtml.dll 0.23
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\jscript9.dll 0.02
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll 0.01
    Process Name System
    PID 4
    Average Utilization (%) 0.23
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.10
    \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bcmwl664.sys 0.06
    \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys 0.02
    Process Name explorer.exe
    PID 4444
    Average Utilization (%) 0.22
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.08
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\explorer.exe 0.01

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
    The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156249
    Power Policy:Active Power Plan
    The current power plan in use
    Plan Name OEM Balanced
    Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.
    Personality Balanced
    Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
    Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
    Quality Mode Balance Video Quality and Power Savings
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
    Personality Balanced
    Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
    Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
    Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality
    System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
    Battery:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
    Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
    S1 Sleep Supported false
    S2 Sleep Supported false
    S3 Sleep Supported true
    S4 Sleep Supported true
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support
    Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.
    Connected Standby Supported false
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
    This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0
    Index 0
    Idle State Count 3
    Idle State Type ACPI C-States
    Nominal Frequency (MHz) 2399
    Maximum Performance Percentage 100
    Lowest Performance Percentage 38
    Lowest Throttle Percentage 38
    Performance Controls Type ACPI P-States/T-States
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0
    Index 1
    Idle State Count 3
    Group 0
    Index 2
    Idle State Count 3
    Group 0
    Index 3
    Idle State Count 3
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:19 AM
  • Hello Lamak,

From the report, it seems that your Power Plan is OEM Balanced. Not sure what your OEM has changed in this Power Plan. OEM would need to tell you.
    Sleep is not enabled.
    Display Timeout is longer than 15 minutes when On Battery and Plugged in.
    S1 and S2 is set to false.
    USB device does not enter suspend state.

Power Plans:
    Balanced - Offers full performance when you need it and saves power during periods of inactivity.
    Power saver - Saves power by reducing system performance and screen brightness. This plan can help laptop users get the most from a single battery charge.
    High performance - This plan uses a lot more energy and will reduce the amount of time that a laptop battery lasts between charges. 

Power states:
    S1 - Stand By (Power On Suspend)
    S2 - Stand By - CPU and system cache context is lost.

You can change the Power Plan to meet your specifications.

One other thing, did you have problems with the cursor before you updated to the latest OEM Drivers for my ALPS Pointing device? If not, you can go back to a System Restore before you updated the drivers.

Let us know if any changes help with your cursor.

Thanks

Marilyn
    Monday, October 10, 2011 1:33 AM
  • Ok,
    So suddenly some boot file was corrupted and i had no choice but to restore back to Windows 7. Using the Windows Setup file provided by Microsoft Connect, I managed to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Windows Developer Preview. Now there is no invisible cursor when i put the computer in sleep mode.

Quote: "From the report, it seems that your Power Plan is OEM Balanced. Not sure what your OEM has changed in this Power Plan. OEM would need to tell you." I have installed the Acer ePower Management Driver thus probably that's why my power plan is OEM Balanced.

I installed NVIDIA GeForce GT415M drivers from Windows Update and NVIDIA PhysX (v9.10.0224), ALPS Pointing Device Driver (v7.105.2015.1107) and Intel Chipset Drivers (v9.1.1.1025) from Acer.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name LAMAK
    Scan Time 2011-10-11T13:41:55Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Manufacturer Acer
    System Product Name Aspire 4741
    BIOS Date 04/28/2011
    BIOS Version V1.31
    OS Build 8102
    Platform Role PlatformRoleMobile
    Plugged In true
    Process Count 76
    Thread Count 907
    Report GUID {e40c4f1d-c643-4d4f-bc22-236f588c2a82}

Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:Dim timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
    The display is not configured to automatically dim after a period of inactivity.
    System Availability Requests:System Required Request
    The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
    Driver Name \FileSystem\srvnet

Warnings

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
    The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 99989
    Maximum Timer Period (100ns units) 156250
    Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
    A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
    Requested Period 99990
    Requesting Process ID 140
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
    Power Policy:Display timeout is long (On Battery)
    The display is configured to turn off after longer than 15 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 600
    Power Policy:Display timeout is long (Plugged In)
    The display is configured to turn off after longer than 10 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 900
    Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
    The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
    CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is moderate
    The average processor utilization during the trace was moderate. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 3.30
    Process Name System
    PID 4
    Average Utilization (%) 0.29
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.14
    \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys 0.05
    \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bcmwl664.sys 0.04
    Process Name TM.exe
    PID 5460
    Average Utilization (%) 0.26
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.11
    \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll 0.03
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.02
    Process Name MsMpEng.exe
    PID 848
    Average Utilization (%) 0.23
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\{370382C8-D8F2-46B0-9A2F-9D96DFAB6BC7}\mpengine.dll 0.18
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.02

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Timer Request Stack
    The stack of modules responsible for the lowest platform timer setting in this process.
    Requested Period 8968
    Requesting Process ID 140
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
    Calling Module Stack \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\mmcss.dll
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\mmcss.dll
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\sechost.dll
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
    Power Policy:Active Power Plan
    The current power plan in use
    Plan Name OEM Balanced
    Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.
    Personality Balanced
    Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
    Quality Mode Balance Video Quality and Power Savings
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
    Personality Balanced
    Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
    Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality
    USB Suspend:Analysis Success
    Battery:Analysis Success
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
    Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
    S1 Sleep Supported false
    S2 Sleep Supported false
    S3 Sleep Supported true
    S4 Sleep Supported true
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support
    Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.
    Connected Standby Supported false
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
    This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.
    Group 0
    Index 0
    Idle State Count 3
    Group 0
    Index 1
    Idle State Count 3
    Group 0
    Index 2
    Idle State Count 3
    Group 0
    Index 3
    Idle State Count 3
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:59 PM
  • The above post is the new Powercfg Report
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:00 PM
  • See if you can press alt+ctl+del, then when you have switch to the prelogon screen hit escape to return to the regular start screen/desktop and move the mouse pointer and see if it reappears...I had the same issue after exiting sleep and this work around always gives me back the mouse pointer. 

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:34 AM