none
Master Page Editing RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to ask this question because I am not an HTML coder. I am hopeful I get a response that does not include just a link to an instruction on how to edit master pages. I am aware of design manager, sharepoint designer, etc. and I have done this a few times.

However, I am in a jam and I just need some help.  I have a customer who is migrating from SP 2010 - SP2016.  They had an SP2010 master page that was customized so that the Global Nav was left justified under the Site Icon.  Even though I have been able to reproduce the CSS for the site and apply an SPCOLOR file that matches the old site exactly and enabled the breadcrumb on the master page, they really want the global nav under site logo and left justified.

I do not want to start with minimal master page and add the site icon and global nav snippets because that is too time consuming and could introduce other issues.  I just want to modify Seattle to change the position of the Global Nav to left justify under the Site Logo.

I can float the Global Nav to the left, but I am unsure how to get it under the Site logo, and maybe this is more about HTML in general rather than Master Page editing.   Normally I would pursue this by myself, but when messing around with master pages I always tread lightly.  Surely this must be something someone else has had to do, and would be able to help me understand the simplest and least disruptive way to do it. 

Thank you in advance for your help

DWM

Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:51 PM

All replies

• I know you don't want to hear this, but given the changes in what's on a Master page since 2010 I don't think you are going to have any choice other than starting with an existing 2016 Master page and customizing it to do what you want with the Global Nav.  I don't think you will be able to achieve what you want with just CSS.  In 2013 and 2016 some of the spacing on a page is actually calculated and applied via javascript.  You'll need to take that into account.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

We can use jQuery to achieve it, add the code below into <head/> tag in your master page.

<script src="//code.jquery.com/jquery-3.1.0.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    $(function () {	
    	$(".ms-breadcrumb-top").appendTo("#s4-titlerow");
    });
    </script>

Best Regards,

Dennis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 31, 2017 1:49 AM