none
Adding references needed to run Coded UI scripts to appear as default in Visual Studio Community

Question

• When I create a coded UI script on VS2015 and select Coded UI as the project type, it will automatically add in the needed references. However, if I want to run the script on another machine that has Visual Studio Community installed with Agent 2015, I get errors like "The type or namespace name 'UITest' does not exist in the namespace Microsoft.Visualstudio.TestTools'" To get rid of these errors I then need to add in the following to References in Solution Explorer 

Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CodedUITestFramework

Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestSettings

Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension

Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting

Every time I open a different Coded UI script on the same machine with Visual Studio Community, I need to manually add in the references. If I know all my scripts will need these references, is there a way that I can add them as default such that whenever I open VS Community for any project it will automatically have the references added in the Solution Explorer already?

Thanks.

Saturday, May 21, 2016 12:42 AM

Answers

• Hi newbieBB88,

One issue is that the VS2015 community version doesn't support the coded UI tests.

Reference:

https://www.visualstudio.com/products/compare-visual-studio-2015-products-vs

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 23, 2016 6:38 AM
  • Hi newbieBB88,

>>How about VS Community + Agents 2015?

The real issue is that this VS version doesn't support the coded UI test project, so we couldn't run the test project using this VS version, of course, if you have the Agent 2015, maybe we could think about running the test in command line using the MSTest.exe or run it remotely using the test Agent.

>>is there a way so that every time I open VS by default certain references are automatically added?

I feel that it would be a feedback, for example, if I create the coded UI test project in my VS Enterprise version with update2, I will get the reference like the following screen shot.

But if I change the .NET version under the project property, I will get the references automatically.

So if you want to get all references, maybe you could change the .net version, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, May 30, 2016 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi newbieBB88,

One issue is that the VS2015 community version doesn't support the coded UI tests.

Reference:

https://www.visualstudio.com/products/compare-visual-studio-2015-products-vs

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, May 23, 2016 6:38 AM
  • How about VS Community + Agents 2015?

It appears Agents 2015 is available for distributing automated scripts for testing and when used together with VS Community allows coded UI to run on VS Community 2015.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48152

Regardless of if I need to use VS Community 2015 or VS 2015 Enterprise, is there a way so that every time I open VS by default certain references are automatically added?

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Hi newbieBB88,

>>How about VS Community + Agents 2015?

The real issue is that this VS version doesn't support the coded UI test project, so we couldn't run the test project using this VS version, of course, if you have the Agent 2015, maybe we could think about running the test in command line using the MSTest.exe or run it remotely using the test Agent.

>>is there a way so that every time I open VS by default certain references are automatically added?

I feel that it would be a feedback, for example, if I create the coded UI test project in my VS Enterprise version with update2, I will get the reference like the following screen shot.

But if I change the .NET version under the project property, I will get the references automatically.

So if you want to get all references, maybe you could change the .net version, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, May 30, 2016 6:32 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 9:24 PM
  • You are welcome:)

If you get any latest information, please feel free to let me know.

Of course, if any reply is helpful for you, you could mark it as the answer, so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue.

Sincerely,

Jack

Thursday, June 2, 2016 4:15 AM