none
Expression web suddenly goes crazy RRS feed

• Question

• I am really frustrated about this ... I am a beginner ... but this is the second time that EW4 acts crazy ... I have a DWT that was fine and I built lots of pages upon ... and I haven't modified anything in it ... 

all of a sudden, I found all the pages (linking to that DWT) look like an elephant had stepped on them ... the menu buttons are hiding behind other contents ... the heading shifted to the top ... and an editable body part is taking a big empty space while it only took a one line space before ... an image is replaced by an [X] (although the image paths were not changed ) :(  .... A DISASTER 

I experienced something similar before when I add layers, but I was then convinced by other users that layers cause problems ... but this time no layers, but the same problem occurs

so ... any ideas??

Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:39 PM

All replies

• Image replaced by an X, and  styling has disappeared?
    Sounds as if some paths to files have been changed or files have been moved to other folders with out properly updating links.
    Expression Web MVP
    • Edited by Steve Easton Sunday, September 11, 2011 10:25 PM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 10:24 PM
  • I have revised this issue  ,,, nothing has changed in the folders and paths ... I did not make any critical changes ... I am even following a trusted tutorial step by step .. no possible chance of making my own mistakes :(
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 10:51 PM
  • We are not psychic and can't possibly tell you what you've done.  You need to publish a page, and give us a link.   See the "FAQ ... Start Here" post.

As for you following a tutorial and not possibly making a mistake : nope, not true.  :)  It's extremely easy to make a mistake if you are a newbie.  And, depending on what tutorial you are talking about, perhaps even easier than that - if it's telling you to work in Design View and you are dragging divs and creating layers, for example.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:39 PM
  • no possible chance of making my own mistakes :(

Don't be ridiculous. Of course there is a chance, and in fact what you are describing must be the result of something that you did. EW does not suddenly and spontaneously "go crazy" and hose a layout. Don't try to blame the tool because you don't know how to use it.

Something as simple as not properly closing a tag in the right place can change a whole hierarchy of containership relationships, and enable/disable a like number of CSS selectors. However, in the current instance, I agree with Steve that you've got at least some pathing issues. For one thing, that is the only way you will get the red "X" placeholder for an image. Either the image is simply not present at all, or the path to the image is incorrect, due to misspellings, moving the image outside of EW, not understanding how paths work, whatever. The point is, EW does NOT cause that. Something that you did caused that.

In any event, you've been here before, you know the drill—publish the page and post a link. We can't do a thing for display issues without it except make wild ass guesses like Steve and I have.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Monday, September 12, 2011 12:18 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 12:15 AM
  • lol .. okay relax  :D ... I thought it might have bugs or something ... I will revise everything again and if I fail to find the problem, I will publish the pages :)
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Just as a hint for troubleshooting the kind of issue, start with validating the page. The validator will find things like unclosed elements, misspelled attribute names, etc. Fix the problems the validator reveals, and work from the top down. As mentioned above, simply failing to properly close an element can cause what appear to be errors in elements subsequent in source order. Fixing the first error will then clear other errors caused by it. After you fix an issue, re-validate to see if other issues were addressed by fixing that one.

Also, take advantage of EW's real-time syntax highlighting and compatibility checking. The compatibility checker will flag some issues with yellow highlighting and red squiggly underlines. Syntax highlighting (coloring) will clue you to when you've failed to close a selector's rule set properly, or left off the semicolon separator between rules, or failed to terminate a string value assigned to an attribute, etc. Many times simply scanning your code closely, line by line, will enable you to spot these clues that EW obligingly provides.

The reason I know these things is because we all screw up now and then, and despite my experience, I still find myself having to pick through my markup to find an elusive error. That's why I responded the way I did to your assertion that you couldn't possibly be making your own mistakes. If pros with years of experience can still screw up, be assured that novices just learning the ropes can easily do so.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Edited by paladyn Monday, September 12, 2011 4:41 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:39 PM
  • And, just to be clear, Scott is talking about looking in Code View for the highlighted errors, not Design View.  And start at the top there, too, since, as Scott says, fixing the first error can clear errors below that were a result of the first error.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:56 PM
  • thanks for the advice guys .... I guess I rushed to stupid complaints at the beginning :)
    Monday, September 12, 2011 6:56 PM