SQL Server Installation - stop / start other Services / Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Does anybody know, which other Services are recommended
    to be stopped or started during a SQL Server installation?

I´m interested in this information for clustered and non-clustered
    environments.

I think it´s meaningful to stop the virus scanner and backup agents
    in both cases.

From former SQL Server Versions (90) in clustered environments I know
    that it was important that the Task Scheduler Service and the Cryptographic
    Service were running. But I also think the Task Scheduler was neccessary
    for the installation process on remote nodes. This changed since SQL Server

But I´m not sure, what are the recommendations for SQL Server 2008 (R2).

I didn´t find a specific technical article.

Can anybody help?

Many thanks in advance!

Greetings

Karsten Mueller

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Karsten,

Thanks for your post. SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 almost use the same installation processes. For stand-alone installation, make sure the system on which SQL Server will be installed has been met installation prerequisites. I am not aware any specify service (which shold be running by default) that is required running during the installation, however it is recommend to turn off anti-virus programs which may block setup from modifying the system register or or writing files on disk.

For failover clustering installation, which is a little bit more complicated than stand-alone installation therefore we need properly preparation. Therefore, I would recommend reading the following whitepaper before installation, see: SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering.

For more information about SQL Server 2008 setup, you can refer to Installing a SQL Server 2008 R2 Failover Cluster (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179410.aspx); How to: Install SQL Server 2008 R2 (Setup) (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143219.aspx).

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any question during the installation.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:13 AM