Screen Resolution is ok but can't adjust refresh rate on Windows Developer Preview

Question

• hello again ...ok as the title suggests i can go as high as 1920 by 1440 resolution but cant seem to adjust the refresh rate of my sony e 400 monitor at 1280 by 1024 resolution i need 85 hertz and it only offers 63 hertz  in whatever resolution i choose is there some way i can get the necessary 85 hertz refresh rate.......... thanks for the help!

Original Title: resolution ok! but refresh rate..............
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:26 AM

All replies

• These are the specs I can find for your monitor:

Source of specs: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=172

• CRT - 19" (18.0" viewable image size)
    • Aperture Grille Pitch - 0.24mm - 0.25mm (variable)
    • Screen Treatment - High contrast AR coating
    • Horizontal Scan Range - 30 - 96kHz
    • Vertical Scan Range - 48 - 120Hz
    • Maximum Resolution - 1800 x 1440 @ 60Hz
    • Recommended Resolution 1280 X 1024 @ 85Hz
    • Front Panel Digital Controls:
    • Power On/Off
    • Slide Input Indicator
    • Reset
    • DisplayMouseT control
    • On-Screen Display:
    • Contrast
    • Brightness
    • H/V Size and Centering
    • H/V Convergence
    • Control Lock
    • Zoom
    • Raster Rotation
    • Pincushion
    • Pin Balance
    • sRGB
    • Keystone
    • Key Balance
    • Color Temperature
    • Moire Adjust
    • H/V OSD Position
    • Manual DeGauss
    • Control Lock
    • Multi-Language Select: 9 Languages
    • Help Menu
    • Supplied Accessories:
    • AC Power Cord
    • INF Diskette
    • MAC Adapter
    • User's Manual
    • Limited Warranty: 3 Years - Parts, Labor and CRT

So, it's clear that your monitor is supposed to display 85 Hz at 1280 x 1024. To fix this problem, I would suggest that you update your video drivers. If your copy of Windows 8 is running with generic drivers, it may not work correctly with your monitor. Also, don't forget that this monitor is about ten years out of date. Windows 8, like Windows 7 and Windows Vista before it, will be run on LCD displays by most users. You are using a CRT that is apparently over 11 years old - that's ancinet for most of the tech industry. If your monitor came with some kind of driver disc, these drivers may work with Windows 8, but they will require the 32-bit version of Windows 8 in order to run, if they will work at all.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:58 AM
  • You don't need monitor drivers EVER.  unless you have some sort of monitor with crazy custom features.

You're looking for a video card driver.  It should be on the AMD, Intel, or Nvidia website depending on what card you have.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 1:13 PM
  • again, your old gpu is the issue and I already told you in your other topic that the limited Basic driver is used. Like the VGA driver this driver has limited capibilities. Update the graphic card!
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Sunday, February 05, 2012 1:34 PM
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 1:34 PM
  • If your video card is old enough to fit in an AGP slot, you probably shouldn't be using it with 64-bit Windows. I would suggest that you switch to the 32-bit version. Also, your monitor is so outdated that I would strongly recommend upgrading to a newer model, even if its an LCD from 8 years ago. Refresh rate does not affect the display quality of LCDs (there is no flicker) and should it should not matter if you cannot set a refresh rate beyond 60 Hz. I would also suggest that the monitor have an aspect ratio of 4:3, unless you are going to upgrade your graphics card.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 5:39 PM