none
Approaches i can follow to add a general message inside my create and edit list forms? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a team site collection , which have 6 custom lists. now our customer ask us to add a message when users create/edit list items , the purpose of the message is to explain what does the "*" means,, something as follow:-

enter image description here

now i find this appraoch:-

1- inside the 6 custom lists to edit their Create/Edit forms.

2- this can be done by going to the Create/Edit forms >> Edit Page.

3- then add a "Content Editor" web part.

4- inside the "Content Editor" web part to define a Content Link as follow,which reference a .txt file:- enter image description here

5- then inside the .txt file to add a message text :-

<span style="color:red"> * Represents Mandatory Fields</span>

is this case i can manage the message from one place (.txt file), and even if i save my site as template and create a new sites based on the template,, the new sites will benefit from this also.. but can anyone adivce if my above appraoch is valid ? or there is another way to allow my Create/Edit forms to explain what does "*" means ? using JSLINK or other approaches ?

Thanks

Thursday, January 5, 2017 11:44 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

As I understand, you want to add a description about the meaning of "*" in list new/edit form.

Then the method you found is correct, we can put the message into a txt file, upload the txt file into a library, then reference the file url in the content editor web part to display the message in the form.

This method will be better because we can manage the message in the txt file easily and also is valid for other list templates and site collections.

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by johnjohn11 Friday, January 6, 2017 4:29 PM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 7:56 AM