none
Kinect studio recording formats RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am trying to save streams data (color/depth/IR/Body joints) from the sensor to disk.

I was wondering if I can use the Kinect studio tool for that.

I noticed the Kinect studio can save streams as .xef files and .xrf files (for raw data).

Is there a way to extract the streams data from these files and maybe convert the frame images to jpegs files?

Is the KSConvert.exe tool capabale of doing that?

Alternatively is there any code for recording several streams at once?

**From my understanding, the Kinect studio tool purpose is mainly for recording sample streams for training classifiers using the Visual Gesture Builder.

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by Yar78 Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:41 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Yar78,

Yes you can extract the streams of data, however you have to code/implement how to do this your self.

KSConvert allows you to convert Raw files (XRF) to event files XEF. Only XEF files can be used for playback to kinect enabled applications.

Kinect Studio does allow you to record different streams and play them back to Kinect enabled applications for the purpose of testing, Proofs, and of course Visual Gesture Builder.

You can access KinectStudio API's from your own custom code to record streams and extract them however you please but again it's your custom code. One idea is to record the xef file with Kinect Studio (or api's) and then playback the file and get the color frames through the normal Kinect SDK api's.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:31 PM