none
NOW BEYOND A FRUSTRATING EVENT - USER DEFINED ERROR & NOW LOST! RRS feed

• Question

• I have now posted this issue in three different forums.  I began with Office/Excel/Windows 10 but was told it was the wrong place and I should post the problem at the Developer Network (please see their responses below) but was told that was also the wrong place and that it belongs here.  (Please excuse my ignorance as I am not a developer although a long time Excel user).

I am running Windows 10 with Office365 and Excel 2016.  Suddenly a few days ago, for no apparent reason, when I enter something, anything, into a spreadsheet, be it new or and older spreadsheet, and then click on "ENTER" to enter the data,  I then immediately receive an error message which appears as is shown below:

ERROR MESSAGE:

MICROSOFT VISUAL BASIC FOR APPLICATIONS
    USER-DEFINED  TYPE NOT DEFINED

This is what I do not understand.  I am a LONG time user of Excel, in fact, I was a Beta tester.  I have NEVER run into this one time in my life.  There have been no updates or changes to my system whatsoever for over a month!  Nothing was defined in any spreadsheet whatsoever of any type of data other than standard data entry.  So then, why suddenly did this error message begin popping up EVERY SINGLE TIME I ENTER ANY DATA OF ANY TYPE WHATSOEVER?  It does NOT make any difference if what I enter is text, currency, raw data, numbers or what it is, I get this error message.  When I do get it, there is a selection of either  "OK" or  "HELP".  Clicking OK merely allows us to continue until the next time I hit the ENTER key again, the error message pops up again, and again, and again!  Something somewhere changed.  The only thing I have done in any respect was the other day I tried to enter the time into a spreadsheet I setup as a calendar and when I did enter the data, Excel wanted to display the data as a date, so I then again clicked on the cell and did "FORMAT CELLS" and then "TIME" and selected the way I wanted the time displayed.  I have probably previously done this dozens upon dozens of times and did not run into this problem.  I cannot recall if these error messages then began immediately but I do not believe they did.

I must ask, what has caused this and how do I stop it and you should know, I have NEVER used Visual Basic for anything.

To be clear, if I click on "HELP", I get the following and none of it applies -

(Sorry, I was going to provide the address for the help article but the wisdom here caused an error message:  Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account, so I had to remove the address.  Again, sorry.)
    "User-defined type not defined
    Office 2013 and later 
    You can create your own data types in Visual Basic, but they must be defined first in a
    Type...End Type statement or in a properly registered object library or type library. This error
    has the following causes and solutions:
    ·         You tried to declare a variable or argument with an undefined data type or you specified 
    an unknown class or object.  (NO, I did not do this!)
    ·         Use the Type statement in a module to define a new data type. If you are trying to create
    a reference to a class, the class must be visible to the project. If you are referring to a class in 
    your program, you must have a class module of the specified name in your project. Check the 
    spelling of the type name or name of the object.  (NO, I did not do this!)
    ·         The type you want to declare is in another module but has been declared Private.  Move
    the definition of the type to a standard module where it can be Public. (NO, I did not do this!)
    The type is a valid type, but the object library or type library in which it is defined isn't 
    registered in Visual Basic. Display the References dialog box, and then select the appropriate 
    object library or type library. For example, if you don't check the Data Access Object in the 
    References dialog box, types like Database, Records**, and Table*** aren't recognized and
     references to them in code cause this error. 
    ·         For additional information, select the item in question and press F1 (in Windows) or
     HELP (on the Macintosh)."  end of help information"

Again, NOTHING in the help section applies to anything I am doing in Excel and therefore I have no idea as to the cause of the problem (error) or what to do to stop it from happening and it is getting very frustrating indeed.  Further, it would help, I am sure, if I knew what I had done to trigger going into Visual Basic and how to turn it off or get out of it.  You should also know that I often save the Excel files as Excel 97 - 2003 Workbook.  But, I have been doing this since last fall when I acquired this new system and never experienced this problem until a few days ago.  It is about to send me up the wall and I just don't want to go up the wall but prefer walking upon the floor (sorry for the sick humor but I have to do something to smile).

I sincerely will appreciate any help you can provide with these issues!  THANK YOU!

Now, here are the responses I have received to date:

from OFFICE365 home forum the response was:

Since the error says that the issue is related Visual Basic for Applications, we suggest that you post your query on this forum, so you can get assistance from the Excel experts in resolving the issue.

And so I followed that and went there and posted it and these are the replies:

If you are using VBA code in your application then you should post your question here:  (location provided). 

If you are not aware of any use of VBA then you have a problem either with default code that is being automatically loaded with each spreadsheet, or some malware (which amounts to the same thing).  In either case the correct forum is the Excel forum.  While the problem is with VBA code somewhere, the process of finding why that code is executing is something that Excel experts can handle.

Sorry to hear of this issue. Unfortunately this is not the correct forum either.

The best suggestion is to turn off macros in Excel as per this page location provided. If that does not help your options are to contact Microsoft (location provided) or worst case is to do a repair (location provided) .

I'm moving your question to the Excel for developer forum even thou it's not in the realm of coding, perhaps someone there may have knowledge that can assist you in the right direction.

Needless to say, I am now completely lost.  I did go into some of my workbooks and checked for macros and found NONE!

Can I please suggest something?  This, as far as I know, is the only forum in Microsoft, that has a condition where one cannot include a link or an image (That I understand) until our accounts have been verified.  IF you are going to do this, the very least you can do is somehow indicate the link that is bothering you because I have been going through this for over 30 minutes and cannot find it any where.

Friday, March 24, 2017 4:54 AM

All replies

• The verification referred to is waiting for a reply to an email that you should receive at the email address you provided for your log in details. You will need to click the link in the email and follow the prompts to complete the verification. I understand that the email can take some time before you receive it. I think that the idea is that Microsoft is attempting to verify that you provided a valid email address.

Unfortunately I think that we can only make suggestions as to what you might try. Unless someone has come across an identical situation the it is impossible to know exactly what is causing the problem

There is a lot of reading in your post but I don't recall seeing if you have tried to open one of the workbooks on another computer with the same version and updates as you have. I know it can be difficult at times to find an acquaintance where you can do this but if you can and the workbooks are OK on another computer, then it indicates the problem is isolated to your computer in which case you should try the repair of office as suggested to you.

You could try the repair anyway. I understand from your post that you have been given links/guidelines to do this. Even if you contact Microsoft, I am sure they will tell you to do that first.

You could also look for Personal xlsb (Personal macros). Even though you say you have never created a macro, it is surprising what keys users sometimes inadvertently type. (I am looking for an enhanced keyboard that types what I meant to type and not what I did type). Look for Personal.xlsb at the following location.

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\PERSONAL.XLSB

If found, then rename it PERSONAL_BACK.XLSB so that Excel will not use it and restart Excel.

Also do you have any addins? If so, disable them and test.

Regards, OssieMac

Friday, March 24, 2017 6:32 AM
  • I second looking at any addins.  I once had an app install a special Excel printing addin that was defective.
    Friday, March 24, 2017 1:01 PM
  • I second looking at any addins.  I once had an app install a special Excel printing addin that was defective.

Do I interpret this as the problem is now fixed?

Regards, OssieMac

Friday, March 24, 2017 7:59 PM
  • Yes, it is fixed.  I had the problem several years ago.  As soon as I removed it Excel worked.  I don't remember the exact failure.  I'm thinking some issue on namespaces.  It was using the addin and it should have been using something else.
    Friday, March 24, 2017 11:01 PM