none
[PHP][Web Apps] cleardb not fit for Azure reputation RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• Mark Masiak

Sunday, November 8, 2015 6:40 PM
  • As Azure only leverage ClearDB to provide MySQL service in SaaS tier. And according your error message, it seems there are any incorrect configurations of your Wordpress database.

You can find your wordpress database info in wp-config.php file in the root directory of your site. Please double check the settings, and also we can use MySQL workbenches to check the connection with these settings.

We can check and modify the files of your site by logging on KUDU console site (which URL should be like with https://<your_site_name>.scm.azurewebsites.net/DebugConsole.) or leveraging Webmatrix on Windows.

On the other hand, if you want to keep the full control of your MySQL server, you can install and manage your database on Azure VM. Please refer to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-linux-install-mysql/.
    Monday, November 9, 2015 6:17 AM
  • Thanks for the response Gary - the problem is not the wp-config file as the site does connect OK most of the time. The issue is the connectivity to cleardb. I've raised a case with them which the close before you can get any further information too them. This isn't the first time as we have had very poor performance from the database side in the last couple of months getting constant errors and they just close every case before it is resolved (with a condescending hope this helps email signature).

Hi there, 

Thanks for contacting us. While I'm not able to specifically pinpoint the actual underlying error that you are running into without more information from your web server's PHP logs.  

Should you collect and provide us with additional log information that indicates clearly what the underlying issue is, we'll be glad to investigate further. If you would like to turn this logging on and are not sure how to do so, here's a tutorial on how to enable error logging in PHP on Azure Websites: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/silverlining/archive/2012/10/16/getting-error-info-for-php-sites-in-windows-azure-web-sites.aspx  

In the meantime, we need to go ahead and mark this case as being closed due to scope completion. 

Hope this helps

infologic telecom

Monday, November 9, 2015 8:41 AM
  • Since the issue about the connectivity to ClearDB is a bit hard to reproduce on our side, could you please share the web app's info with us via leveraging the approach that pointed out at https://github.com/projectkudu/kudu/wiki/Reporting-your-site-name-without-posting-it-publicly? The basic idea is - if you prefer not to share the info publicly on the forum (which we fully understand), there is an alternate way that will allow us to know your site name without revealing it to others, even if you cannot create a site, you can find the info sharing approach at the bottom of https://github.com/projectkudu/kudu/wiki/Reporting-your-site-name-without-posting-it-publicly. Should you have any further concern, please feel free to let us know. Looking forward to having your feedback
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:09 AM
  • Thanks Gary

dummy site garyliumsft.azurewebsites.net

there were server side errors this morning and the site wouldn't load, eventually it did come up after 2 restarts and functioned correctly

/LogFiles/DetailedErrors/ErrorPage000319.htm

Module    FastCgiModule
    Notification    ExecuteRequestHandler
    Handler    PHP55_via_FastCGI
    Error Code    0x00000000

Mark Masiak

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:30 AM
  • We will analyze your issue leverage your dummy site, and I will replay to you once I get the result.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 12:52 AM
  • hi Mark,

In order to follow up with ClearDB support, please provide your ClearDB name as well as the region it hosted in, also it would be better if you can let us know the timeframe of the error and the conversation you had with ClearDB support. Feel free to send the information to me via (wshao at Microsoft.com). Look forward to having your update.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 3:46 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Sorry to push you a bit but we really wanna know the information to further look into this issue. Please feel free to contact us via (wshao at Microsoft.com) and let us know:

• Your ClearDB name as well as the region it hosted in,
    • The timeframe of the error and the conversation you had with ClearDB support

Any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, November 13, 2015 7:35 AM
  • sorry missed your post just emailed a screen clip of the cleardb account and below are errors from this afternoon

Mark Masiak

Friday, November 27, 2015 3:03 PM
  • and the last 24hrs

Mark Masiak

Friday, November 27, 2015 3:05 PM
  • hi Mark,

Thanks for your information. I received your information. Any update, I will reply you on this thread.

Thanks for being patient.

Regards,

Will

Sunday, November 29, 2015 2:33 AM
  • Will

I have just looked at my main account on Azure and seen that a website with MySQL has the MySQL listed in the MySQL lists in the newer Preview portal.

On this account, the one with the website problems, the MqSql database is not listed in the Preview Portal as connected to the account. Could there be a disconnection from the account to the ClearDB service?

Mark 

Mark Masiak

Monday, November 30, 2015 12:07 PM
  • Hi Mark,

>> Could there be a disconnection from the account to the ClearDB service?

Based on my understanding, this should not affect your website. As long as the website has database connection/settings pointed to the MySQL database ( proper ClearDB database), this would work fine. The linked resource tab and connection string information are really for accessing dashboard and site extension purposes.

In addition, I have replied your email which you sent to earlier, please check it and look forward to having your feedback.

Regards,

Will

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 6:47 AM
  • It is hosted in Azure West Europe with the DB going through eu-cdbr-azure-west-b.cloudapp.net

infologic telecom

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Thank you for providing the ClearDB's detailed information, we noticed you are using your site with mercury plan ( of ClearDB), please note this plan only allows maximum of 4 active connections to the database, that would mean the site will allow only 4 concurrent users, if a 5th user comes on, then you will get errors. From the looks of the traffic (the charts you provided), it does look like there're lot of traffic.

Also mercury plan is only for development/demo sites not for production. Please upgrade to Titan/Venus/Saturn/Jupiter based on the traffic you are expecting. In addition, MySQL persistent database connection is recommended for improving performance, I think it would be better if you use persistent connections for the production, here is a blog on how to do it: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/azureossds/archive/2015/09/24/use-mysql-persistent-database-connection-for-wordpress-on-azure-app.aspx  

About how to upgrade the ClearDB pricing tire, I recommend you refer to this document:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/af0c4511-3f28-4b54-b3b4-182a9c03c2f3/mysql-support-and-windows-azure-web-sites?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Regards,

Will

Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:57 AM
  • hi Mark,

I will mark this this thread as answer, if you find it no help, please fell free to unmark.
    We are ready to provide help if you can provide more detail in future.
    Thanks!
    will

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:19 AM