Diagnostic tools not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

I have an issue:

So I'm trying to profile my UWP / Metro (Win8.1) Apps.  I keep facing the same problem, - Diagnostic tools just won't work (memory usage specifically).

I keep getting errors like this: 

"Failed to enable stack collection on heap trace session (0x8007007f)."

CPU usage turns on, but then it says: "Microsoft Visual Studio was unable to create a diagnostics report."

Would anyone explain me why is this happening and what are the possible workarounds?

Thank you in advance for your time spent to provide me with the solution!

P.S. I've been suffering from for ages and failed to find out how to tackle this :) 

• Edited by Alex.Kurinnoi Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:41 AM Improved readability of the text
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:47 AM

Answers

• Hi, Jack!

Thank you for the reply! But i've just installed Update 2 RTM for my VS 15 and now diagnostic tools work just fine. 

I will still answer your questions, though, in case it would help somehow. So

1 - Yes, my App worked just fine and debugging sessions were running properly too!

2 - I tried both, run it in Debug and in Release. Can't say, that it was somewhat different either way.

3 - As a matter of fact, I've never tried it.

4 - To be honest with you, I'm pretty positive, that I used profiller for different apps, But it was Before I installed Update 1 back in December. (actually it really seemed like Update 1 wasn't very good for my VS, because not only Diagnostic Tools, but IntelIssense stopped working as well :( )
    Never the less, we did tried running diagnostic tools on the very same solution on a different PC and 
    a) it worked properly
    b) the PC had VS 15 Update 1 installed

5 - If I remember correctly it kept saying something like "Diagnostic tools failed to create report". But again, I can't get it not working now, so I can't just show you the screenshots.

Kind Regards,

Alex

Monday, April 11, 2016 10:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

>>So I'm trying to profile my UWP / Metro (Win8.1) Apps.  I keep facing the same problem, - Diagnostic tools just won't work (memory usage specifically).

Could you share us a screen shot about how you profile your app? Which profile method did you really use, CPU usage or others ?

(1)Whether you app run normally before you profile it? We have to make sure that no compiled error before we profile it.

(2)Do you profiler it in release mode?

(3)Please run your VS as the admin.

(4)Please check that whether all apps have the same issue. So we could know that whether it is related to the specific app or the VS Environment, of course, if you have other VS machine, please test it.

(5) Please check the output window during your profile it, maybe you could also get different messages there.

Actually I try to use the "CPU Usage" tool for a simple Windows 8.1 app in my VS2015, it worked well in my side, so please check that whether you could run your app normally before you profile it, maybe it is related to the UAC settings or the Developer mode settings in your windows.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 11, 2016 1:44 AM
  • Hi, Jack!

Thank you for the reply! But i've just installed Update 2 RTM for my VS 15 and now diagnostic tools work just fine. 

I will still answer your questions, though, in case it would help somehow. So

1 - Yes, my App worked just fine and debugging sessions were running properly too!

2 - I tried both, run it in Debug and in Release. Can't say, that it was somewhat different either way.

3 - As a matter of fact, I've never tried it.

4 - To be honest with you, I'm pretty positive, that I used profiller for different apps, But it was Before I installed Update 1 back in December. (actually it really seemed like Update 1 wasn't very good for my VS, because not only Diagnostic Tools, but IntelIssense stopped working as well :( )
    Never the less, we did tried running diagnostic tools on the very same solution on a different PC and 
    a) it worked properly
    b) the PC had VS 15 Update 1 installed

5 - If I remember correctly it kept saying something like "Diagnostic tools failed to create report". But again, I can't get it not working now, so I can't just show you the screenshots.

Kind Regards,

Alex

Monday, April 11, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Hi Alex,

>>Thank you for the reply! But i've just installed Update 2 RTM for my VS 15 and now diagnostic tools work just fine. 

Glad to know that it works well now, maybe it is the setup issue since it works well after you installed the update package.

Anyway, since this issue has been resolved, would you please mark your reply as the answer? So it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue, and I could close this case for you.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:42 AM