none
Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I created a document-level excel using C# which talks to SQL server. 

this customisation is deployed to IIS  and users have been accessing to the file happily. 

Then all of sudden, one of the user emailed me that there was a problem opening the file getting 'Element not found' error. 

I didn't make any changes to the file and it's fine with everyone except for that person. 

The user was using it just fine until out of blue, she got the error message yesterday. 

From my previous experience, this issue occurs only when I make changes but the user do not install .vsto file. All I had to do was to ask users to click on '.vsto file' before openning 'xltm' file. 

but in this case, no changes have been made to the file. I found it very strange. 

Still I thought reinstalling it would solve the issue. 

from 'Control panel', I uninstalled it and tried it to reinstall using both 'Setup.exe' and '.vsto' (tried few times)  but I am still getting the error message. 

I am not sure what to do here. It was ok and it just doesn't work... It doesn't make sense to me. 

I have about 30 users using this file (Excel is working as the front-end and SQL as back-end). This is the strangest thing I have ever come across. 

Can anyone suggest what I should look into please? 

Below is the detail of the exception. 

Cheers

************** Exception Text **************

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070490): Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.IHostItemProvider.GetHostExtender(String extenderType, String extenderCookie, IntPtr& extenderObject)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.ExecuteCustomization.Microsoft.Office.Tools.IHostItemProvider.GetHostExtender(Type primaryType, String primaryCookie)

at Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel.ControlSiteImpl..ctor(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, IHostItemProvider hostItemProvider, String primaryCookie, String identifier, Object containerComponent, UInt32 officeVersion, Control control, _OLEObject extenderControl, Boolean isDynamic)

at Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel.FactoryImpl.Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel.Factory.CreateControlSite(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, IHostItemProvider hostItemProvider, String primaryCookie, String identifier, Object containerComponent, Control control)

at Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel.Controls.ComboBox..ctor(Factory factory, IHostItemProvider hostItemProvider, IServiceProvider serviceProvider, String cookie, String extenderCookie, Object container, String identifier)

at HotList.Sheet1.InitializeControls()

at HotList.Sheet1.Initialize()

at Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel.WorksheetBase.Microsoft.Office.Tools.EntryPoint.Initialize()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.ExecuteCustomization.ExecutePhase(ExecutionPhases executionPhases)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.ExecuteCustomization.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.IExecuteCustomization2.LoadEntryPoints(IntPtr serviceProvider)

Friday, November 23, 2012 6:05 AM

Answers

• hi Tom 

I tried what you suggested but didn't work. 

Then I thought I might try fixing office on uninstallation option menu. 

Guess what? It worked. :) 

Not sure what happened. But it works now..  

Monday, December 10, 2012 5:37 AM

All replies

• Hi SQLMa,

Sorry for late response.

It's based on your description that seems have problem on Windows Update. Let's try KB977893 KB947821 let's see whether it can solved your issue.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, December 3, 2012 5:14 AM
  • Hi Tom 

thank you for the reply. 

this is great! Finally something to try. The user is not available today. I will try tomorrow and let you know how it went. 

the user is using Windows 7 so I will just try KB947821.

Thanks again for reply!!!

Monday, December 3, 2012 5:19 AM
  • hi Tom 

I tried what you suggested but didn't work. 

Then I thought I might try fixing office on uninstallation option menu. 

Guess what? It worked. :) 

Not sure what happened. But it works now..  

Monday, December 10, 2012 5:37 AM