Problems printing to PDF RRS feed

• Question

• We have had a MS Access application for 7+ years. It creates some reports in landscape that recently for some users has been printing to two pages because they are too wide to fit on one page. Printing the reports to Adobe Standard they print on one page just fine, other users using the Microsoft print to PDF are getting extra pages with virtually nothing on the them. I have gone in and multiple times made the report narrower until it printed for them on one page. Then a few weeks later someone else is having the same problem.

From what I can see there are not any printer settings in Microsoft Print to PDF that I can change. Does anyone know what margin sizes and report widths will reliably fit on a landscape page with MS Print to PDF?

Is there a better, free, application we can use to make the PDF's?

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 5:13 PM

All replies

• An extra blank page usually just means you have a control that is i teeny bit too wide for the margins. Most of the time the culprit is a horizontal line.

It's probably printing through Adobe because it has the ability to automatically shrink the print area to fit the page. I don't think MS PDF printer does that.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:28 PM
  • you do not say - but I am presuming that within Access these are Reports - - which then get exported to PDF...

assuming this is the case - there is a buffer area along the border and if you encroach into it the report object will create the next page.....

I cannot define the size of that buffer area - and it isn't exactly the same for all - it seems to have some dependence on the graphics driver.

So one can have a report that is just on the edge of that buffer area work fine for years - - then change out the hardware and it suddenly is multiple pages.  Also for instance I design applications for companies remotely - and send it to them....for me the report is a single page but for them it is multiple pages....because of different hardware.

you must narrow your data area in those reports and provide a more spacious buffer white space area.....of course reports that have this problem are often crammed with data and so narrowing them can be challenging - but trial one at least and see if that fixes things...….

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:30 PM
  • it seems to have some dependence on the graphics driver

Actually: it's based on the Default Printer.
    This has gotten tricky with Windows 10 where optionally that printer is not fixed but "managed by Windows".

That said, I have never had issues with 0.25" margins all around.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 10:23 PM
  • Thanks. My current version of my application has the margins set to 0.25, and I do have the width reduced so it is now 10.0083" width of printable information. That seems to be working, even though when I bring it up on my screen, there looks to be about 0.25 white space on the left, and about 1 inch on the right. If I make it any wider though it forces extra pages on my user's PDF's.
    Friday, October 25, 2019 6:25 PM
  • yeah - it is not the margin setting - it is the encroachment into the margin....

obviously if the margin setting is as narrow as possible it helps provide as much data space as needed...

I often experience the need to be, what looks like to my eye, a lot less than the margin as well - and it is a bit of trial and error when things are really crammed in there.... and that's the problem you note - when you really live on the edge - a change in hardware can push you over even though nothing has changed in the software.... so best to leave a nice healthy buffer......

Friday, October 25, 2019 9:02 PM