none
How do I turn off the the Secure Boot policy or allow modifications to values protected by it so I can turn on Test Mode?

Question

• On my win 8 CP virtual machine I am able to successfully turn on Test Mode by following the command "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON"  described here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553484(v=vs.85).aspx 

But on my Developer Preview Samsung tablet (installed with community preview) I am unable to turn Test Mode on.  I get the error "The value is protected by Secure Boot policy and cannot be modified or deleted." 

Any suggestions?  Maybe this isn't a hardware issue?

Friday, March 9, 2012 1:32 AM

Answers

• It feels so obvious now, there was a setting in the bios to turn off secure boot.
    Friday, March 9, 2012 9:58 PM
  • Actually you can turn off driver signing enforcement with advanced startup in WCP.  To do so:

Settings charm > More PC Settings > General > Advanced Startup (Restart Now)

Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Windows Startup Settings > Restart

Use keyboard and press enter on "Disable Diver Signature Enforcement"  (or use volume up/down and rotation lock to select the option on the Samsung Tablet)

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:43 PM

All replies

• It feels so obvious now, there was a setting in the bios to turn off secure boot.
    Friday, March 9, 2012 9:58 PM

Testsigning is not working for me in WCP, after reboot i still can't use unsigned drivers, and no test mode label appares. Am I the only one? there are other things wich are not working during boot, like custom actions
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Secure Boot in the UEFI BIOS has nothing to do with unsigned Device Drivers. Please start a new post with a detailed description of the issues you are seeing during boot.

Bill - Support Engineer - Microsoft CSG

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:16 PM
  • The answer to your issue, Tofan, is that you need to sign the drivers. Test mode merely allows drivers signed by anybody to be run, it does not disable driver signature enforcement.
    Monday, March 12, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Actually you can turn off driver signing enforcement with advanced startup in WCP.  To do so:

Settings charm > More PC Settings > General > Advanced Startup (Restart Now)

Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Windows Startup Settings > Restart

Use keyboard and press enter on "Disable Diver Signature Enforcement"  (or use volume up/down and rotation lock to select the option on the Samsung Tablet)

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:43 PM
  • Hi, i followed jfrtc instruction on how to disable drive signature enforcement on windows 8 and through that i have now managed to do what i needed. My question is now, do i need to re enable it, or is it already re enabled? I went back on there to re enable it, however it showed Disable driver signature enforcement, which i believe it what it said before i disabled it. So does that now mean that it automatically re enabled itself?
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 9:52 PM
  • If I remember right, it enables automatically if you do a regular reboot.  Probably a security feature.

-Jeff

• Proposed as answer by zeusrealm Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:56 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 6:19 PM
  • If that is the case, then good.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:55 PM