none
Recommending VS 2012 to customer; also, is Crystal Reports free for 2012 both development and runtime

Question

• Hello -

I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out the best solution for a customer.  I need a development IDE, SQL Server backend and reporting tool.  In the  past, I have used Visual Studio 2008, along with SQL Server Express 2008R2 and Crystal Reports 9.

I am trying to find a comparable package, only newer.  Looking at all of this on the Internet has taken me days; with all of the different versions and combinations of versions.

Is anyone running this combination that can recomment versions?  I am inclined to stay with SQL Server Express 2008R2, but need compatible versions of Crystal Reports and Visual Studio that are relatively inexpensive.  I have run into situations such as VS Express is free, but it doesn't support Crystal Reports, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!  I am currently in a fog after looking through all of this stuff for days . . .

Juniormint

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

is there any reason why you want to stick to old versions?

You could simply get Visual Studio 2015 (Community if the license fits or Express or buy a professional or enterprise version)
    SQL Server could be used in the current version. The Express edition is free and the developer edition is also free (A decision Microsoft made a few weeks ago).

And Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2015 is also available (Service Pack >= 15).

I don't have experience with Crystal Reports but there shouldn't be a reason why it should not work with the express edition.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Juniormint10 Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:18 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

"is there any reason why you want to stick to old versions?" - Because I have them and they work.

I found the following at: 

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824

" Note 2: SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET 
    does NOT support Express Editions of any version of Visual Studio .NET."

The page does not explain why.  

Trying to get new software is becoming a lesson in futility.  Seems to me there should be one spot that shows the combinations that work.  This didn't used to be so hard.  

Juniormint

• Marked as answer by Juniormint10 Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:16 PM
  • Hi Juniormint,

As far as I know, SAP Crystal Reports doesn't support VS2015 Express. 

According to your description. I think VS2015 meet your needs. I suggest you could use VS2015 Community instead, it is also a free version to use. And it is compatible with  SAP Crystal Reports and SQL Server.

You can download it from the following site:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:43 AM
  • Hi Juniormint,

>>Have you run VS2015 Community using a free SAP Crystal Reports version?  If so, what did you download from SAP?

Yes, I have install the SAP Crystal Reports (Support Pack 17 (v.13.0.17.2096) in my VS2015 Community, you can find the Crystal Report project template in the screenshot below:

So SAP Crystal Reports support VS2015 Community.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

is there any reason why you want to stick to old versions?

You could simply get Visual Studio 2015 (Community if the license fits or Express or buy a professional or enterprise version)
    SQL Server could be used in the current version. The Express edition is free and the developer edition is also free (A decision Microsoft made a few weeks ago).

And Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2015 is also available (Service Pack >= 15).

I don't have experience with Crystal Reports but there shouldn't be a reason why it should not work with the express edition.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Juniormint10 Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:18 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

"is there any reason why you want to stick to old versions?" - Because I have them and they work.

I found the following at: 

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824

" Note 2: SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET 
    does NOT support Express Editions of any version of Visual Studio .NET."

The page does not explain why.  

Trying to get new software is becoming a lesson in futility.  Seems to me there should be one spot that shows the combinations that work.  This didn't used to be so hard.  

Juniormint

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:16 PM
  • Hi Juniormint,

As far as I know, SAP Crystal Reports doesn't support VS2015 Express. 

According to your description. I think VS2015 meet your needs. I suggest you could use VS2015 Community instead, it is also a free version to use. And it is compatible with  SAP Crystal Reports and SQL Server.

You can download it from the following site:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:43 AM
  • Thanks so much for your response.

Do you know if Crystal Reports considers VS2015 Community as an Express version?  

A better question - Have you run VS2015 Community using a free SAP Crystal Reports version?  If so, what did you download from SAP?

Another question I have after doing research on all of these versions is, what is the reason they offer these products for free?  Do they lack some of the components or something?  What's the catch?

Juniormint

Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:05 AM
  • To All -

I AM THANKFUL FOR EACH AND EVERY RESPONSE - I THINK I AM ALMOST DONE. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE CREDIT FOR ALL OF YOUR ANSWERS WHEN I AM DONE. 

Juniormint

Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:09 AM
  • Hi Juniormint,

>>Have you run VS2015 Community using a free SAP Crystal Reports version?  If so, what did you download from SAP?

Yes, I have install the SAP Crystal Reports (Support Pack 17 (v.13.0.17.2096) in my VS2015 Community, you can find the Crystal Report project template in the screenshot below:

So SAP Crystal Reports support VS2015 Community.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:14 AM
  • Thank you so much, Lake!

Exactly what I needed - a specific answer!  You made my day.

Juniormint

Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:12 PM