none
Extension Cable for v2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo everyone

I need to extend the USB3 cable for my Kinect for Windows v2 sensor up to 20m. Will any USB3 extender work? Any suggestions?

All the best

Carl Emil

• Edited by CarlEmail Monday, August 25, 2014 4:08 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 4:07 PM

All replies

• it is a repeater or just a longer USB3 cable? Extending the length of the cable would require that you have the correct power and signaling to ensure not data loss or additional latency to the signal.

For public events, this is something we use at Microsoft, but it isn't cheap:http://www.icron.com/products/icron-brand/usb-extenders/fiber/usb-3-0-spectra-3022/

If others have tried maybe they can provide their experience onto this thread.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, August 25, 2014 8:09 PM
  • We have 5 of those for our 50ft interactive wall experience that was supposed to open up this week in Delaware Nemours Children's Hospital. We have 5 bays with 5 Kinect V2s over distance of 250ft.

I can confirm that that they didn't work over 250 ft optical cable (although advertised they would by icron). Any ideas? We are in the middle of installation and are overnighting Kinect V1s just to switch to USB 2.0.

Here is the response we received from ICRON - does this mean it is Kinect team that needs to resolve how they're sending data over USB?

Unfortunately the USB 3.0 Spectra 3022 has a specific limitation when extending the XBox Kinect. The distance that we can reliably extend for the Kinect is 30 meters. While the extender will work without problems with other USB 3.0 devices, the design of the Kinect makes it so we cannot extend it to the maximum distance we advertised. We are trying to find alternative solutions for this issue but currently we do not have a work-around solution. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

• Edited by Dogan Demir Monday, August 25, 2014 9:10 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 9:03 PM
  • Thank you so much for posting about this Dogan. Can you confirm what ICRON states, that they can reliably extend the Kinect 30 meters? And did you end up switching back to the old Kinect?

Carl Emil

• Edited by CarlEmail Monday, September 15, 2014 12:05 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Carmine,

What about this product: http://www.icron.com/products/icron-brand/usb-extenders/cat5/usb-3-0-spectra-3001-15/

or this product:

http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-u330-10m~ATRP92TT.htm

Have you ever tried this kind of product? 10 meters length is enough for my application. Will this work with Kinect v2?

Kind regards,

• Edited by antikestane Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Unfortunately, no. Our team does not do active testing of repeaters. The only supported length is what comes in the box. You will have to test and ensure it fits your requirements to ensure it supports all the data you will be pulling from the device.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:10 PM
  • I use the Sabrent 16 foot (5 meter) active extender with my K4W and Xbox One Kinect as well.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 10:13 PM
  • antikestane,

Just received an Icron Spectra 3001-15 and it does work with the Kinect v2.

All the best!

Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:43 PM
  • Thanks! Perfect, because I just ordered one last week =)
    Friday, January 9, 2015 7:12 AM
  • Hi everyone,

Did you guys try any of newnex's USB 3.0 repeaters?

There are active cables that extends USB 3.0 up to 16m and optical repeaters FireNEX-5000 extends up to 50m for Kinect v2. 

Monday, May 18, 2015 10:26 PM
  • That looks delicious. They claim it goes beyound 200 meters. If anyone tests one of these please report.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 12:04 PM
  • Our 200M mostly works for USB 3.0 bulk data transfer.

Since Kinect uses isochronous data transfer, the FireNEX-5000 is proofed to work for 50 meters extension. 

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 11:37 PM
  • Hi all,

Has anyone used these extenders successfully without any frame drops or with minimal frame drops? 
    I need to extend the USB3 cable for my Kinect One up to 15m. Any suggestions based on your experiences? Do the extenders introduce frame drops?

@Arnaud Faucher and @RLBURNSIDE, do you have any frame drops issues with Icron Spectra 3001-15 or the Sabrent? 

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Shakith
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:47 PM