none
Recommended technology for developing Excel apps in 2017? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I'm tasked with developing an Excel-based application that will pull data into spreadsheets from a couple of web services and a database. There will be a form, and some business logic. Assuming no limitations in technical expertise, can some of you gurus suggest the best technology to use? I hear VBA and VSTO are deprecated, or at least MS is no longer releasing new versions of them. This would be for the desktop only version of Excel/Office 365. Thanks! 
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:15 PM

All replies

• VBA is not going away.  True, they are only making necessary updates and there are some limitations with Office 64-bit.  VSTO is not being developed but is still supported.  I don't like it for a couple of reasons:

1.  You need to develop for a specific version of Excel

2. Using Interops is slow compared to VBA.  One test case I did that involved intense calculations was 10x slower.

I've only done some test cases but I like NetOffice.  It still uses interops but at least you can have an application that works across multiple versions of Office.

You don't mention what webservices.  REST and SOAP are not well supported in VBA.  You'd be off better using C#.  I'm currently developing a webservice using Salesforce Office toolkit.  They have a dll that supports VBA.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 4:27 PM