none
Unable to Install SP4 on SQL Server 2008 instance. Getting the following error.

Question

• Hi ,

I am trying to upgrade my SQL Server 2008 Enterprise edition with SP4. Getting the below error while upgrading . Checked and verified that there are no cluster service running on the server. Please find below the screenshot.

I have tried to run the setup via command prompt by skipping the rule but the installation is not starting . Could you please provide your inputs on the same.

Thank you.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:24 AM

All replies

• Can you please paste content of log file generated after failed installation below link would help you locate it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.105).aspx

It is located at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:43 AM
  • the rule that is failing is "not clustered or the cluster service is up and online. I am unable to provide the screenshot here.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:44 AM
  • the rule that is failing is "not clustered or the cluster service is up and online. I am unable to provide the screenshot here.

I understand that and this is because your account is not verified get it verified.

I am asking you to paste textual content of log file not screen. You will be allowed to do that. Just open log file in notepad and paste content here. It would be a summary file

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:59 AM
  • Thank you for helping me out. Here is the log

2017-02-03 01:54:40 Slp: Initializing rule      : Not clustered or the cluster service is up and online.
    2017-02-03 01:54:40 Slp: Rule applied features  : ALL
    2017-02-03 01:54:40 Slp: Rule is will be executed  : True
    2017-02-03 01:54:40 Slp: Init rule target object: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.Rules.ClusterServiceFacet
    2017-02-03 01:54:40 Slp: Provider failure
    2017-02-03 01:54:40 Slp:    at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.Rules.WMIInterop.Service.ServiceCollection.ServiceEnumerator.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Cluster.Rules.ClusterServiceFacet.Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.RulesEngineExtension.IRuleInitialize.Init(String ruleId)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.RulesEngineExtension.RulesEngine.Execute(Boolean stopOnFailure)
    2017-02-03 01:54:40 Slp: Rule initialization failed - hence the rule result is assigned as Failed
    2017-02-03 01:54:40 Slp: Send result to channel : RulesEngineNotificationChannel

Friday, February 3, 2017 7:03 AM
  • I asked for complete logs, can you upload the logs on Shared drive and post link here. How to upload file on google drive. Upload all the files

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, February 3, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Hi DJ_DBA,

I have read the full error message, based on the message the rule: Cluster group owned by local computer initialization failed. 

This issue can be caused by that WMI is corrupted, you can refer to the following steps to fix it:

1. Disable and stop the WMI service.
    sc config winmgmt start= disabled
    net stop winmgmt

2. Run the following commands.
    Winmgmt /salvagerepository %windir%\System32\wbem     
    Winmgmt /resetrepository %windir%\System32\wbem

3. Re-enable the WMI service and then reboot the server to see how it goes.
    sc config winmgmt start= auto

For more information, please refer to this article: WMI: Rebuilding the WMI Repository.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 6:31 AM