none
Inconsistency of MS Office products with MS Office Open Specifications Documentation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In [MS-ODRAW].pdf document,

In section 2.3.6.6, pVertices field is "The number of bytes of data in the pVertices_complex property".

In section 2.3.6.7, pVertices_complex is an IMsoArray record.

In section 2.2.51, IMsoArray record specifies 4 components (nElems, nElemsAlloc, cbElem and data). The data size should be (cbElem * nElems) bytes or if cbElem equals 0xFFF0, data size should be (4 * nElems) bytes.

So the data size of IMsoArray record plus 6 bytes (of 3 initial fields of IMsoArray) must equal to the pVertices field of section 2.3.6.6.

But MS Office PowerPoint 2003 is not storing the data in file according to the specification. Version 2007 is also behaving in same way.

I mean that data size according to IMsoArray record is not matching with the data size according to OfficeArtFOPT property value. With this inconsistency, we are not able to skip unnecessary fields and we are not able to get proper data for required fields.

There are other complex properties of type IMsoArray. They are also causing similar differences.

Example: If "Circular Arrow" or "No symbol" is created through autoshapes and saved the file, we can find at least one of the complex properties with inconsistent behavior.

I like to know whether the specification document is missing some data or I am missing some information. Please provide the required information to complete my implementation.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Sitaram Graphics:

The protocol documentation team has been informed about your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:33 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Sitaram Graphics,

I will be working with you on this problem and will get back to you shortly.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Sitaram Graphics,

I am taking over for Tom Jebo and will continue to assist you on this issue.

Could you send me a sample two samples files exhibiting this behavior to dochelp (at) microsoft.com? One from PowerPoint 2003 and the other 2007.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer
    Open Specifications

Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

Thank you for taking this task. I have sent you the file. Please check it and let me the problem.

Regards,

Sitaram

Friday, February 4, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

I did some guess work and able render all my files. Take your own time to investigate or ignore this problem. I will come back to you if I find any other issue.

Regards,
    Sitaram
    http://www.sitaramgraphics.com/

• Marked as answer by King Salemno Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:52 PM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:02 PM